Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee stings  (Read 2927 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
bee stings
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:02:20 pm »
don't know if this remdy has comeup as yet, but here in jamaica one ofthe things older folks say is to rub the sting with (3) different types of bush. don't know the scientific basis for it but it seems to work. got stung on my lip the first day i got my bees and never got swollen. got stung twice yesterday 1 on my earlobe and the other on my head top. rubbed the one on my ear and forgot about it. the one on the top of my head was slightly swollen.   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: bee stings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:32:44 pm »
don't know if this remdy has comeup as yet, but here in jamaica one ofthe things older folks say is to rub the sting with (3) different types of bush. don't know the scientific basis for it but it seems to work. got stung on my lip the first day i got my bees and never got swollen. got stung twice yesterday 1 on my earlobe and the other on my head top. rubbed the one on my ear and forgot about it. the one on the top of my head was slightly swollen.   
Are these bushes indigenous to Jamaica only?  Would love to know the name, I have had a few nasty stings around my face, with lots of swelling, particularly on my lip too once, it would have been nice to have a remedy, like you said that it works.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:38:39 pm »
Plantian is the best sting treatment I know of.  It grows on hard packed dirt, usually on your favorite path across the grass in your yard.

http://weeds.cropsci.uiuc.edu/images/Broadleafplantain/images/broadleaf%20plantain.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:16:29 am »
i use VEIL plant against bee stings into the head, about beeing stung on the other parts of body, i really don't care much, neither i get a lot.

the newest way is, to take a lighter and..let's say a nail. heat the nails head so it gets really hot, and press onto where you got stung. it is said, that the heat destroys vitamin..emmm A or some vitamin, which is sort of "foundation" of bee venom, no sweeling

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 11:26:40 am »
Heat destroys(denatures)  proteins. Venom is a protein. Hot water for 10 minutes will destroy the venom. Works well. Dont know about a hot nail head.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:46:10 am »
that's why meat tenderizer is supposed to work.  breaks down protein.

MB i couldn't figure how you had Plantain growing like a weed :-)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 06:14:51 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 05:23:23 pm »
that's why meat tenderizer is supposed to work.  breaks down protine.
i know of a much better meat tenderizer, pineapple, we tried it once, meat was being cured for 1 day in pineapple sauce, some pepper, salt, olive oil..you know the usual plus pineapple, juice and pieces. the meat was fabolous. then, another time, meat was in this for 3 days, i would say that angles would eat it if they had teeth, but....they wouldn't need teeth. 1 day is more than enough.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:28 pm »
Are these bushes indigenous to Jamaica only?  Would love to know the name, I have had a few nasty stings around my face, with lots of swelling, particularly on my lip too once, it would have been nice to have a remedy, like you said that it works.  Cindi

i wouldn't say indigenous to jamaica but to our climate. i suspect that it would work irrespective of the type/location of plant as it may be some chemical(for want of a better word) that may be present in the leaf that is released when it is crushed

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:22 pm »
The bananas don't grow here.  I posted the picture.  I have also heard it called "paddy dock".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:17:15 pm »
The bananas don't grow here.  I posted the picture.

i saw the picture.  it was not until then that i realized what you were talking about :-)  i think i have that weed here also.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:20:05 pm »
The plainatain I'm familiar with we used to call Indian Tobacco because the seed heads looked like a clump of shredded tobacco.  Definitely a differenct animal that banana's.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!