Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is horizontal beekeeping more natural?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: Is horizontal beekeeping more natural?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 10:28:42 am »
Bees are opportunists when it comes to their homes.  They live in horizontal and vertical arrangements with equal ease.  I don't see that either is more natural. I've found bees in limbs and trunks. I've found them in walls and floor joists.  You could argue that adding boxes to the top is less natural than adding them to the bottom, but adding them to the bottom is a lot of work and I don't think it matters that much.
Just catching up with a few interesting posts ...

I agree absolutely - also with Robo's comment about confusing primitive with being "more natural".
I wouldn't want to argue this to the Nth degree, but I think box volume is a much better indicator of being "more natural" than box orientation. Because - in the smaller beehives people used in the past (meaning roughly the pre-Langstroth period), swarming was more-or-less inevitable - indeed it was actively encouraged by many in order to multiply the number of colonies a person possessed.
In contrast, today's adoption of much larger beehives and our pre-occupation with the prevention of swarming could well be described as being "unnatural" practices.

That's not to say I approve of letting bees swarm - quite the opposite. I guess that make me an 'unnatural' beekeeper. :smile:   
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2024, 11:24:45 am »
What is your reluctance to letting the bees swarm?  You have no control over wiled hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 06:21:32 am »
What is your reluctance to letting the bees swarm?  You have no control over wiled hives.

A brief courtesy message - just in case the forum software doesn't advise you of this:
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com