Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 08:02:54 pm »
Empty hive bodies and swarm traps near your colony or the neighbors will always attract some attention, typically foragers looking for resources.   Move the trap a mile away or more to catch a swarm. 
This is turning out to be a smashing year for black locust and the blackberries are just starting to open!  :grin:  Unfortunately it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so we'll see if I manage to get any inspections in or not.  :sad:
« Last post by gww on Today at 07:15:35 pm »
If there are flyers there is still hope.  I have a couple of places where I do have more then one trap (Which is a bit of a waste) and I will see the bees looking at all of them and many times end up picking just one. 
I had a hive acting very overheated yesterday, bearding and fanning heavily, so I quick slapped a box of partially drawn blanks on them to give them some breathing room.  I got stung on the wrist for my trouble. 
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 06:52:11 pm »
I don't have any experience here, but I would think it's possible they were investigating the trap, and it got late in the evening so they just spent the night.  Bees sometimes get caught out late on flowers too and will just hunker down until it warms up in the morning.
It took me a while to get stung while inspecting too.  Little hives are always nice and friendly, since they don't have the beepower to have lots of people standing around on guard duty.  Plus everyone is happy when there is food coming in. 
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 05:41:53 pm »
Obviously, I'm a newbee but from all the reading I've done, this kind of puzzles me. My migrants spent the night, got up pretty early and flew around and then all got quiet. I don't know if they were hanging out inside or what but there are flyers out there now still flying around.
And the changes were made as advised. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to say it but third time in the hive and no stings yet.
UK / EUROPEAN BEEKEEPING / Re: Hello from Berlin!
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 05:37:36 pm »
Welcome, asfodeltreegiver. There is plenty of information here and help from experienced beeks (not me, I'm new) to keep you going.
I consider myself to be a natural or at least naturally-inclined beekeeper (the definition of "natural" varies so much amongst beekeepers that I sometimes hesitate to use the term without context).  I personally see sugar as emergency feed only.  Is it the best thing for bees to eat?  No, certainly not, and your goal is always to leave the bees enough honey so you don't need to feed sugar.  But sometimes things don't go as planned.  Maybe the fall flow doesn't come in.  Maybe a weak colony is robbed out by a stronger one.  Maybe you have a package or nuc that is getting a late start and needs a boost.  In these situations, if you have extra honey frames squirreled away somewhere, or a big colony with a surplus you can donate to the other colony, that is what you'd do.  But if you don't have any extra honey, then sugar is what you can fall back on.  It's not the best, but it will keep the colony alive and prevent them from starving to death until they have access to nectar again.  Personally, I would be wary of purchasing honey to feed to bees, unless I could get it from a beekeeper who I would trust to have healthy bees.  I also feel like the extra expense of a different sugar isn't worth the price for the purpose, since I only use it when something goes wrong, which hopefully is rarely.  So I would just use whatever sugar I had on hand in the kitchen. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10