Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dipping boxes in Wax...why are people doing this?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
Dipping boxes in Wax...why are people doing this?
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:15:07 pm »
I have always been warned about even leaving frames out overnight as it can draw wax moths. 

Why are folks doing it then?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Dipping boxes in Wax...why are people doing this?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:17:18 pm »
I have been told the same about waxed frames.  I don?t think very many beeks dip their hive bodies in wax, however the wax would attract bees, especially swarm traps.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:15:28 pm »
All of the professional box makers wax dip to preserve the wood. As bees wax is expensive they use paraffin and microcrystalline wax.
Wax dipping will more than double the life of a box.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:25:17 pm »
Mr. Beavo, most hives I see in the US are painted.  How does wax compare to paint?  I prime the outside of the hive body with primer then paint with acrylic that is mildew resistant.  In this part of the US, Arkansas, the humidity is very high so protection of wood is a must: Australian oil for home decks, paint for bee hives.
Cheers
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:35:57 pm »
Mr. Beavo, most hives I see in the US are painted.  How does wax compare to paint?  I prime the outside of the hive body with primer then paint with acrylic that is mildew resistant.  In this part of the US, Arkansas, the humidity is very high so protection of wood is a must: Australian oil for home decks, paint for bee hives.
Cheers
Van

Mr Van, I also paint my boxes, generously.  I have noticed that hot wax dipping is starting to catch on here also. Kamon Reynolds in East Tennessee is starting to do this if I remember correctly and there are others. From what I understand, the wax is sucked into the pores of the wood like a sponge when done correctly. Double box life is an appealing prospect. Something I may look into further, on down the road, as I chug along.
Blessings, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:39:51 pm »
Cheers
Van

Mr Van, I also paint my boxes, generously.  I have noticed that hot wax dipping is starting to catch on here also. Kamon Reynolds in East Tennessee is starting to do this if I remember correctly and there are others. From what I understand, the wax is sucked into the pores of the wood like a sponge when done correctly. Double box life is an appealing prospect. Something I may look into further, on down the road, as I chug along.
Blessings, Phillip

This brings another question, what is the cost compared to painting?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:37:41 am »
Bahbee,
The sole purpose is to make the boxes last a very long time. Wax moths do not go after the wax in the wood. It is too thin of a layer. It is mainly sucked into the wood.
When you dip the boxes, you cook them until they stop bubbling. What this does is boil out the water and then the wax fills in the pores to seal the wood really well.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 04:52:23 pm »

This brings another question, what is the cost compared to painting?

If the the boxes last twice as long as painting, that would have to be factored into the calculation - as would the time involved in making all new boxes at the half-life point (of wax-dipped) to replace painted boxes.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 07:04:00 pm »
We wax dip and then paint them while hot.
 Once the wax is sucked into the wood, only minutes, we then apply a coat of paving paint (quick dry).
This coat will dry quickly, again only minutes, and a second coat is applied.
Our time line is minimum of 6 min, can go to 10 in the wax at 150C, 2 coats of paint and the box is finished in about 12 minutes for a 6 min dip.
Screws for clips are put in predipping.
Our paint only boxes are starting to show rot in 10-12 years but our wax dip boxes have only been going about 8 years.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 07:33:41 pm »
Why use paraffin/resin instead of beeswax?  I have no experience with wax dipped wood and I made the assumption that wax dipped meant beeswax.

The wood in your link, video, Mr. Bush looks natural and most likely the wax cured wood will out last me.  Long live the beehive.
Blessings
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:21 pm »
We wax dip and then paint them while hot.
 Once the wax is sucked into the wood, only minutes, we then apply a coat of paving paint (quick dry).
This coat will dry quickly, again only minutes, and a second coat is applied.
Our time line is minimum of 6 min, can go to 10 in the wax at 150C, 2 coats of paint and the box is finished in about 12 minutes for a 6 min dip.
Screws for clips are put in predipping.
Our paint only boxes are starting to show rot in 10-12 years but our wax dip boxes have only been going about 8 years.

You are doing the ultimate in box protection Oldbeavo.  Good information. Thanks.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 06:33:19 am »
Van
Paraffin is about A$5 per kg, microcrystalline is A$8-9 while bees wax is at present A$16-17. That is the reason for using alternatives to bees wax.
Moisture is the reason why timber degenerates, the cooking in the wax, especially at 150c removes a lot of moisture and so the box not only has a wax preservative but with less moisture is less likely to rot.
Timber even when considered dry can still be 10-15% moisture.
We paint the frame groove and the inside corners as this is the most common sites for rot.
Hint for those who make their own:With the timber always put the inside of the tree to the outside of the box, if there is any cupping or moving of the timber the corners will be kept closed at the joins. Rather than opening a little and let moisture in.

anything