Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The perfume of Propolis  (Read 3373 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
The perfume of Propolis
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:24:17 am »
I was giving a few frames the blow torch treatment, before using them again.

The beautiful sweet floral smell wafting up from the disolving propolis was quite a surprise.

Has anyone else noticed this? Im thinking maybe some of the candle makers might try to incorporate propolis in the candles.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: The perfume of Propolis
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:27 am »
Propolis is one of my favorite smells.

If you make candles with such items as propolis, make sure you liquefy it in some manner taking out all impurities and small particles. Otherwise, you will have small particles being sucked up into the wick at a rate that may inhibit proper burning and may actually put your candle out.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:17 pm »
And the flavor!  Nothing better than popping a big ol' wad of propolis in your mouth and chewing it like gum!  Yummy! :-D

:evil:
Rick

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:25 pm »
I don't have to burn it to smell ours, it gets on my hands, gloves, camera...the dog...smells so heavenly.  One of the unexpected pleasures of beekeeping, the smell!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:52 pm »
We need that Planters nut girl to do a commercial but instead of dabbing a nut behind her ear, use some propolis...  :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:34:42 pm »
What does propolis dissolve in?  Alcohol?  Water?

Offline mastro

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »
Smells like hops in beer...I wonder...

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »
What does propolis dissolve in?  Alcohol?  Water?

It dissolves in alcohol.  It makes an excellent after-shave tincture (among other applications)  btw.

I've tried it in candles - doesn't work (non wax soluble - just sinks).  What does work is placing it in tart burners, which are very inexpensive.   Alternatively, there are more expensive propolis vaporisers/diffusers ~> [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00qM6jkGXQPROPOLIS[/youtube]

Besides the nice aroma, there are other health benefits to propolis vapor:

Exam made from the Italian National Health Service
AIM OF THE EXPERIMENT
The authors wanted to verify whether this combination releases volatile substances into the atmosphere which can reduce the microbial load of the air within a confined environment (in a school near of Turin-Italy) using Propolair, propolis vaporizers.
RESULTS
Using for 3 consecutive days the diffusers in to the schools and after to have analyzed the Air before and after the experimentation, some comments can be made on the antibacterial activity of sesquiterpenes.
Utilizing Propolair diffusers there was a strong microbial load reduction (71,8% in 3 days).
The possibly of using natural substances, without side effects, for the sanitation of the environment is certainly of great benefit.

Scientific study about:
Public Health Lab. Biotoxicological sectio, Local Healts Unit No. 5 in Grugliasco (Turin -Italy) in collaboration with Work Safety and Healt Service, Local Health Unit No.5 in Collegno (Turin – Italy) and Basic medicine Service, Local Health Unit No. 5 in Villarbasse (Turin – Italy). Published on: Biologi Italiani, February 1996 n°2

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »
Dane, nice video, too bad it was in French though, smiling.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »
If I had a spare $600. I would buy Rosetta Stone-French

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:48:00 pm »
 viva le propolis :-*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »
I have a beautiful jar of propolis that sits on my kitchen counter.  I have gathered this since I began my keeping of the bees.  I can't tell the times that I pick this jar, up, place it beneath my nose, inhale deeply through my nostrils, close my eyes -- in my mind's eye, I am right there, right there in a beautiful warm day in summer, close to a massive pine tree that ornaments a part of my yard, or I am on a picnic in the woods with my Grandchildren.  Propolis, memories of the warmth of a summer's day and joy.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, life, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:03:08 am »
And the flavor!  Nothing better than popping a big ol' wad of propolis in your mouth and chewing it like gum!  Yummy! :-D

:evil:

I will have to try that!

I have a beautiful jar of propolis that sits on my kitchen counter.  I have gathered this since I began my keeping of the bees.  I can't tell the times that I pick this jar, up, place it beneath my nose, inhale deeply through my nostrils, close my eyes -- in my mind's eye, I am right there, right there in a beautiful warm day in summer, close to a massive pine tree that ornaments a part of my yard, or I am on a picnic in the woods with my Grandchildren.  Propolis, memories of the warmth of a summer's day and joy.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, life, love our life.  Cindi

I will definately try that too!

anything