Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Straggler Bee Question  (Read 4849 times)

Offline 1657sandiego

• Brood
Straggler Bee Question
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:23:52 pm »
We had a bee removal person come to our house about two weeks ago. He removed some bees from the exterior wall of our house. He left with a big bucket of bees, so I assume he got the queen. He said there would be straggler bees, and he would come to pick them up if we called. There are still at least 30 - 50 buzzing around in the area where the nest was removed. Unfortunately he is not returning our requests for additional help. Is it possible for the leftover bees to last this long? Not sure if he didnt do a complete job or if new bees moved in. Do you suggest I have someone else come in or wait a bit more.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Straggler Bee Question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »
If there are bees still around, he either didn't get the queen or a new swarm has taken up residence.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline 1657sandiego

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »
Thanks...that was my suspicion.  :sad:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:33:59 pm »
I disagree. 30-50 bees are stragglers. He did a good job. Just spray the stragglers or wait a few more days. They may just be bees from a neighboring hive cleaning up the dropped honey. If a new swarm had come in, there would be thousands.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:07 pm »
Welcome 1657sandiego. :happy:

I tend to agree with Iddee.  There could have been that many that stayed out all night or was just foraging when the colony was removed.  As long as the entrance was sealed properly the bees can't get in.

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:28:44 am »
Many bees are gone foraging when the hive is removed and come back to no home.  They leave after a few days

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »
What Iddee said.
I moved my hives 2 weeks ago and the stragglers moved into a swarm trap. There were so many of them that they started adding honey to the drawn frame. They covered a third of it. There was no brood in there so I added a frame of bees and eggs on Sunday to let them build their own.
Yesterday I got a call and picked up 2 swarms so I added the smaller one to this box to really give them a boost start.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:05 pm »
I am in the same boat as Jim....if there is a big enough cluster of stragglers give em a frame of eggs and let em make their own new royalty. But 30-50 bees isn't anything to worry about.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

anything