Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Trafalgar, new to beekeeping  (Read 1860 times)

Offline garand41

• Brood
Greetings from Trafalgar, new to beekeeping
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:56 pm »
 Thanks for allowing me to join!   I have a question to ask right off.
 We had two hives given to us last summer. They were/are in terrible shape and hadn't been touched in years. We moved them to another location near Freetown. However. we need swap out the old brood boxes and frames of which there are two boxes per hive. I have been researching the Bailey method and wondered if anyone else had been in this situation before. The boxes are a mess and stuck together. I'm afraid we won't be able to find the queen so that she can be moved into a new box. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I can also be contacted by Email.

Thank You In Advance, Mike

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from Trafalgar, new to beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:05 pm »
Google says there are Trafalgars in several places. The help you need would be different in different places. Please be more specific as to where you are, and put it in your profile so we will know on the future questions.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:12:44 am »
Garand,
If you separate the frames and move them into the new hive the queen will find it if she does not transfer on a frame . I just opened my observation hive. It was sealed up when I took it out of the house with no bees on the outside of it. The bees that were outside found it 25' away from the entrance strictly by smell.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:39 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:20 am »
Mike - Welcome to the forum.  Lots of great people here. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline garand41

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »
Sorry, I'm located in Trafalgar, Indiana. And, I appreciate all the help we can. This is a joint venture I'm in with my oldest daughter. She lives south of us near Freetown, Indiana. That's where the hives are.

anything