Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: back after a lot of time away from the bees.  (Read 2568 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
back after a lot of time away from the bees.
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:27:46 pm »
hey, i live in alabam and am getting back into beekeeping after years out of the business.
my first job was working for a commercial beekeeper in the early 80's.  i kept a few hives in the late 90's then sort of dropped out again.  i just bought some land in georgia and the first thing i want to do is get some bees. 
i'm looking for established colonies now.  i'd rather feed through the winter than miss the clover flow waiting on packages or nucs.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: back after a lot of time away from the bees.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
Welcome back to beek and the forum.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   Are you going to keep the bees in GA or AL?   You don't have to pay the per hive registration here in GA.   

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:30 pm »
i'll be keeping them in georgia.  last time i checked they weren't as bad about transporting bees across state lines as alabama either.  i did a removal saturday so i guess i'm already keeping bees in georgia but i don't expect this hive to be alive by the end of the week.
they were really week and when i rode out to the country today to check them it looked like robbers were giving them fits.  i've probably got ten acres of goldenrod and i've seen one honeybee out there in the last 60 days but two days after i put a weak hive out there all the neighbors are calling.
i'm looking for an established colony right now.  i'd like to throw a couple of frames of brood on these bees and see if i can get them through the winter.  if anyone within two hours of butler, ga has a hive or several hives they'd like to sell right now i'm interested.

anything