Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The birds and the bees  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
The birds and the bees
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:01:37 pm »
Well since there has been all this talk of predators lately such as bears and opossums. I thought I would let fellow beekeepers know that today I went out to my hives and there was a bird on top of the hive eating bees as they were flying in. The bird was so engrossed in it's free buffet that it didn't notice me until I was about 5 feet away and then it just hopped over to the fence and gave me attitude for interrupting it's meal.

I have continued to notice the increase in birds, spiders, toads, and lizards in my area. It's becoming a regular jungle out there.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

manowar422

The birds and the bees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:11:34 pm »

today I went out to my hives and there was a bird on top of the hive eating bees as they were flying in

By any chance was this a Mockingbird?
They hang around my hives all the time.
They eat the "worn out" foragers crawling from the
hive to die, and sometimes the birds will suprise two
bees that are engaged in a wrestling match in the grass :lol:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
The birds and the bees
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:08:10 pm »
No it wasn't a mockingbird. The bird was completly gray. not a pigeon, because the body shape was wrong and it wasn't splotchy like pigeons.

It was just sitting there eating them as they flew around the hive. I really am not upset. It was mother nature in action, which was kinda cool.

As I said in another post, I had never seen a fat spider before, I have now. And I know it was fat from eating all the bees it caught.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
The birds and the bees
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:34 am »
I have a Phoebe that sits on the electric fence pole surrounding my hives.  But like manowar sees with his mockingbirds,  she only picks bees off the ground.  Though at times,  I think she is picking the ants that are dragging the dead bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
The birds and the bees
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:44:44 am »
Quote from: Understudy
No it wasn't a mockingbird. The bird was completly gray. not a pigeon, because the body shape was wrong and it wasn't splotchy like pigeons.

It was just sitting there eating them as they flew around the hive. I really am not upset. It was mother nature in action, which was kinda cool.

As I said in another post, I had never seen a fat spider before, I have now. And I know it was fat from eating all the bees it caught.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Try to determine if YOUR BIRD  :wink:  is a Starling. Starlings are not native to the US and it's OK to KILL them,  along with the feral CATS. . They are both pest.  Maybe feed the bad bird to the bad cat then kill the bad cat.  We have them here, Starlings, but I haven't noticed any birds eating bees. We also have an amply supply of cats and I tell hunter friends that the CATS are considered fair game along with the Starlings.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
birds and the bees
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:59:43 am »
I have lizards and assasin bugs (they are orangey red, bloodsuckers) and an ant type that a local entomologist says has no common name(Pseudomyrmex Gracilis) they are kind of a long ant,with some color, gray and rust, but mostly gray. The assasin bugs do catch a few bees and the lizards eat the dead and dying bees, not sure what the ants do, they are pretty solitary, which is unique for ants.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TonyBOD

• New Bee
Re: The birds and the bees
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:33:03 pm »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I was searching for a thread on possible problems with bird predators because twice in the last few days I've opened up the gate to my bee yard and seen a catbird hopping away as if I'd disturbed what he was doing - is it possible you had a catbird?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GrayCatbird.jpg

(Add your own URL header - I can't even post the text of a URL when am I allowed to post URLs/links/pictures here? Frustrating!)

I'm OK if he's just eating the dead in front of the hive, but if he's eating my live bees I'd like to put a stop to that!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:45:24 pm »
i have swallows swooping over the fields eating my bees.  morning and night they eat and eat.  :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:04:39 pm »
I've seen thrashers around my hive, which is pretty cool, since they aren't exactly easy to find elsewhere.  I don't mind giving up a few bees if I get to see a cool bird eating them :D
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:55 pm »
I've never seen anything in action eating the bees, but dragonflies.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:46:40 pm »
swallows gliding above the hives, and sparrows crawling in front, and i think some other birds to, but i don't pay too much attention so i can't identifie them.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 01:28:40 am »
    Do you have any of the flycatchers in your area?  When our cat isn't sleeping on top of the hives there are robins, mocking birds and some of those 'trashy' starlings.  Once in a great while we'll have a flycatcher on the fence in front of the hives getting an free meal.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 03:04:38 pm »
Feral Cats can be trapped in our area and taken to the SPCA for neutering/spaying...I realize some people choose to kill them, I prefer a kinder/gentler way to the problem...

I have notice a hummingbird flying around the hive, I don't know if he is interested in the bees or the scent of the hive?  We have a Phoebe on the land, but he/she doesn't even come near the bees, but stays around the dahlia field catching insects...fine with me...

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 05:16:57 pm »
I've definatly had experience with "Starlings" eating bees. As a kid my dad would have me shoot them out of the air with a .22 loaded with bird shot. You could actually see them picking off the bees in thin air. I hate those birds :-x

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 06:44:36 pm »
boy have i changed my opinion on the birds...
shoot to kill!!!
ok so..birds got aware of my kindness so they tested me

result:
the two strongest hives have lost..by my estimations 20% of pasture bees, and i know this for sure, there could be no other cause! and i know the numbers decreased from multiple observations, one is, they are EXECUTING drones, up to 200 per this two hives, which is a good sign of "out-of-balance" population.

so here comes the airgun!!! one sparrow down, 5 too frightened to come again, but i think at least one more kill will be needed to prove my intentions :evil:

Offline DavePaulson

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 08:19:56 pm »
Quote from: Understudy

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Try to determine if YOUR BIRD  :wink:  is a Starling. Starlings are not native to the US and it's OK to KILL them,  along with the feral CATS. . They are both pest.  Maybe feed the bad bird to the bad cat then kill the bad cat.  We have them here, Starlings, but I haven't noticed any birds eating bees. We also have an amply supply of cats and I tell hunter friends that the CATS are considered fair game along with the Starlings.

Jack you really want the cat lovers to single you out don't you. Saw a bumper sticker that might interest you "SO MANY CATS SO FEW RECIPIES"

Dave

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:48 am »
I don't think that the starlings and other birds bother the bees too much, even though the neighbors have a starling aviary in their garage.

Though it did make me mad when I set up the pool and the birds saw a big toilet and were using it that way  :shock:  And I can't use an airgun because that would poke a hole in the pool.

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:54 am »
Protect the bees, anyway that you need to, that is all I can say, no mercy.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything