Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Bee's spring  (Read 3019 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
The Bee's spring
« on: December 16, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »
Saturday, December 21, is winter solstice for us, but it is the first day of spring for the bees.  As the days get longer, the queen will ramp up egg laying to get ready for the flowers. Your hive population will double to triple before the first flower blooms, so the food will go much faster. The consumption of winter stores will increase as the number of new mouths to feed increase. Starvation will be much more of a problem as the stores decrease before the first nectar becomes available. Keep this in mind and watch your hives carefully.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: The Bee's spring
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:01:39 pm »
They start laying this early? I didn't know. Better buy some more sugar!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:19:04 pm »
Thanks Iddee
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:31 pm »
Iddee, do you have a favorite way of feeding your bees from Dec 21 to bloom, (if needed) ?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:39:45 pm »
Excellent information Iddee. Thanks.

In my area, flowers and nectar should start popping out in the next 4-6 weeks. I can't wait.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 03:42:26 pm »

In my area, flowers and nectar should start popping out in the next 4-6 weeks. I can't wait.  :grin:

Wow! When do almonds start blooming?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 05:12:06 pm »
Wow. Another little tidbit of information you don?t get in the books. Thanks for posting.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »
>Your hive population will double to triple before the first flower blooms, so the food will go much faster.

Not only will there be more mouths to feed, but most of that feed is burned up raising those bees.  It takes a frame of honey and a frame of pollen to raise a frame of brood.  Stores go fast once brood rearing starts.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 06:45:53 pm »

""Iddee, do you have a favorite way of feeding your bees from Dec 21 to bloom, (if needed) ?""

Sugar water is best if the temp. of the feed can be kept above 55F. 12.7 C.

Otherwise, I like sugar cakes.  I stole this recipe from the internet.

""" Take a 5 lb bag of white sugar
    Mix it in a bowl with 7.5 ounces of water and a few drops of an essential oil mix. our honeybee essential oil recipe below
    Mix the water in well
    Spread into the foil pans, or drop onto wax paper or paper plates and make round sugar mounds.

Depending on how warm and humid your house is these dry overnight or a few days. Sometimes they crumble and crack, I think this is due to the moisture content of the bag of sugar you are using. Chunks of sugar cake are fine, the bees don?t care, really.

It is key to measure the water precisely, i use scale; it makes a big difference. if you add too much water it doesn?t dry right, i think."""
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:48:15 pm »

""Iddee, do you have a favorite way of feeding your bees from Dec 21 to bloom, (if needed) ?""

Mix it in a bowl with 7.5 ounces of water and a few drops of an essential oil mix. our honeybee essential oil recipe below
    Mix the water in well
    Spread into the foil pans, or drop onto wax paper or paper plates and make round sugar mounds.

Depending on how warm and humid your house is these dry overnight or a few days. Sometimes they crumble and crack, I think this is due to the moisture content of the bag of sugar you are using. Chunks of sugar cake are fine, the bees don?t care, really.

It is key to measure the water precisely, i use scale; it makes a big difference. if you add too much water it doesn?t dry right, i think."""

Thanks for you answer iddee.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 11:07:26 pm »
Great advice, iddee. A good reminder for newbees like myself.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 12:20:29 am »

Mix the water in well

I make those too.  I put a tablespoon of vinegar in place of the essential oil.  And yes just a little too much water will cause your cakes(or bricks) to drip for weeks or even months.  It is better to be a little short on the water.  If I think I put too much water, I will keep adding more sugar until it looks dry enough.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 01:33:50 pm »

Wow! When do almonds start blooming?

I'm not sure about the start date of the commercial Almond bloom.

I have an almond tree that grew up on its own accord here. It literally grew up thru an 8-foot high fence - winding and weaving it's way upwards, with a knarled twisted trunk and  branches spreading out both sides. I've documents its bloom for 3 years now. It can begin blooming as early as January 15, or last year it began blooming in the last week of February. The bees hit it hard when it blooms, and this signals the beginning of the main flow - to me.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 03:15:06 pm »
Glad I was planning to hit the Oxalic this week!

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 04:46:03 pm »
Yep, good time to hit them with OAD before they brood up.
My sugar cake recipe: 4lb bag of sugar, 1/3c ACV (apple cider Vinegar) stir with a knife (will look like damp snow). Pour it onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. Roll it flat and hard with a rolling pin. Put in the oven at warm (about 175 F) for 20-30 minutes. Better to crease it where you want to break it.
Your house will smell like pickles for the next week.

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 04:54:20 pm »
Yep, good time to hit them with OAD before they brood up.
My sugar cake recipe: 4lb bag of sugar, 1/3c ACV (apple cider Vinegar) stir with a knife (will look like damp snow). Pour it onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. Roll it flat and hard with a rolling pin. Put in the oven at warm (about 175 F) for 20-30 minutes. Better to crease it where you want to break it.
Your house will smell like pickles for the next week.

😁 a fellow would do well to have his own stove outside so the wife would not use the rolling pin on his head.. lol. Thanks minz.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 02:28:50 pm »
I make mine like iddee. I use 9" tin pie pans, fill it half way , then place 4"?4" pollen patty, then fill with sugar to top. I put two on top frames with 2" shim (box) (10 frame box)one has pollen patty and other doesn't. If you get it to wet , just takes longer to dry. Souls be like wet sand but want ball up in hand.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 02:37:23 pm »
Souls ? Should
I don't use oil or vinegar, late Jan. Bee's will be to the pollen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 03:01:20 pm »
is it alright to add a few patties of sugar, even there might be enough honey and pollen left? Just to make sure? The bees will just ignore it if they don't need it. Right?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:28 pm »
You are correct. Just remove it when the flowers bloom. You don't want them to mix it with your honey.

*Shel Silverstein*