Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ace - this one's for you :)  (Read 3603 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Ace - this one's for you :)
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:17:56 pm »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Ace - this one's for you :)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:29:45 am »
Hahahahaha!  I love Boromir.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:09:09 am »
And I thought it was Ned Stark... no wait Richard Sharpe...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:49:26 am »
And I thought it was Ned Stark... no wait Richard Sharpe...
Hahahaha!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:13 am »
Until your back gives out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:07 pm »
 :smile:
Agreed, but eventually I will have to reduce down to just a couple of hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 03:19:07 am »
:smile:
Agreed, but eventually I will have to reduce down to just a couple of hives.
Jim Altmiller

Unless you build, buy, or borrow something like this.

https://youtu.be/LHhpWHRvKsI
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 03:24:29 am »
Or this: Hive Lifter Product Field Video - Bee Breeding Centre

https://youtu.be/zQKpplSwS3A
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:47:32 am »
By the time lifting machines enter into the picture it is a hobby.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 01:11:21 pm »
Ace,
Did you mean Nota hobby?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 05:01:54 pm »
I don?t know, Ace, depends on how much a person enjoys the hobby, perhaps a person as fore described may appreciate a hive lift if that person only has a minimal amount of hives. I can see where such a set up would be good for moving heavy bottled honey back and forth at markets etc, if said honey was placed inside a sturdy wood box set up like the old coke case style using the same measurements as the hive body. Full advantage could be realized with such a setup. Something for our members to consider weather handicapped or not. For that matter young or old.
Phillip

May I add, Even though I have not seen one of theses type lifts used in this manner

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 08:43:12 pm »
Is there a reason for reversing entrance direction from north facing in summer to south facing for the winter? (Shorter of the two lifter videos) If so, and simply spinning the whole hive is not an option. Would a modified bottom board be a cheaper option? Entrance on both ends with one blocked off.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 08:42:59 am »
William,
Welcome to Beemaster.
If you have the option to pick a direction to face your hives, the rule of thumb is to point them south of southeast. Usually based on prevailing winters winds. You don?t want cold air blowing into the entrance and chilling the bees.
I say if because you do not always have a choice. Most commercial hives are on pallets and each hive points in a different direction. Half of my hives are on a trailer and half of them point to one side of it and the other point to the other side of the trailer. The direction of the trailer is based on the location of the site available. My other hives are on bee stands that are aligned per electromagnetic fields (we doused for them) that we found prior to placing the hives.
If you have a choice, point them away from your prevailing winter winds. I would not worry about switching them back and forth.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 08:49:47 am »
I don?t know, Ace, depends on how much a person enjoys the hobby,...
Phillip
Phill that is what I am saying.  Beekeepers that raised bees for a living eventually get a bad back so when they retire they get these machines to keep bees as a hobby.  They are way too slow for commercial operations.  There is one hydraulic fork lift that is used in the industry but it is very expensive and still slower then by hand.  So not many people use them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 08:52:51 am »
Is there a reason for reversing entrance direction from north facing in summer to south facing for the winter?
IMO this manipulation is detrimental to the colony.  Bees organize the hive to their liking.  If you go spinning hives you screw up their organization.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:24 pm »

Jim & Brian, not planing to face a conventional hive north. (May have no other choice with an OB hive...) Just trying to understand the logic behind the man in the video doing it. Then swapping it twice a year.

BTW the guy in the video did not spin his hive. He lifted the hive and spun the base. Then mentioned in the comments that he normally only does this after dark so most of the field bees will be inside.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 11:38:36 pm »

Jim & Brian, not planing to face a conventional hive north. (May have no other choice with an OB hive...) Just trying to understand the logic behind the man in the video doing it. Then swapping it twice a year.

BTW the guy in the video did not spin his hive. He lifted the hive and spun the base. Then mentioned in the comments that he normally only does this after dark so most of the field bees will be inside.

William, I have no idea why he would switch them around. To tell the truth I was more concentrating on the lift itself and the demonstration of its potential.  I assumed he was exchanging the bottoms for housekeeping purposes. Of perhaps changing screened bottom boards for solid bottom boards or vice-versa. Like I said that part of the video went over my head. The lift was what had my attention. I have found that most of these youtube folks will gladly answer questions if you ask in the comment section. Maybe ask him and he will answer?
Phillip

PS Welcome to beemaster!! Glad to have you join us! Do you know David at BarnYard Bees just up from you in Chatsworth Ga?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:50:27 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 07:40:25 am »

Can try asking him directly. Think it is an eight year old video so doubt he will ever see it. Perhaps another viewer will know... Yes, BarnYard Bees is about an hour drive. Have been there once and purchased a couple of rapid feeders and some small entrance discs for traps I plan to have up by spring.  Hope to make the next "coffee chat" and meet David. Oh, and buy more bee stuff! Where do you park? They only have three parking spaces directly in front of the store.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 08:32:33 am »
Since mine are all in rows back to back, half face east and half face west.  The only direction I really don't want to face is north.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 08:40:19 am »
BTW the guy in the video did not spin his hive. He lifted the hive and spun the base.

Ah, that is better but in our hemisphere I would avoid north.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it