Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring feeding and importance of high density syrup  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
Spring feeding and importance of high density syrup
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:09 am »
Is spring feeding important when nectar flow is law and brood biulding is demanding lot of honey flow,  I personally will try that this year,  any advises there

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Re: Spring feeding and importance of high density syrup
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:04 am »
I have been told it is important depending on where you live.  Presumably in the colder climates it's a good idea to help them get started and not starve.  I believe the challenge is to stop before honey is being stored.
You are what you think.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:18 pm »
Feed 1:1 or weaker until the brood chamber has sufficient food and you are ready to put honey supers on. Do not feed when honey supers are on the hive. They will not take any more sugar water when their is sufficient nectar to be had.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »
I might feed today or tomorrow.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »
Just saying, I never fed a hive that survived.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »
1:1 sugar solution.  Two four pound bags of sugar to one gallon of water, correct way.

For some reason a few people incorrectly believe one 4 pound bag of sugar is mixed with one gallon of water to make a 1:1 solution.  This solution is to dilute.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:40 pm »
""1:1 sugar solution.  Two four pound bags of sugar to one gallon of water, correct way.""

CORRECT

one 4 pound bag of sugar is mixed in one gallon container and filled with water.

Also CORRECT.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:20 am »
Iddee:

1:1 sugar,,,,,  4 lbs sugar plus 4.1 pounds water (2 quarts) totals 3/4 gallon of sugar water.  Not one gallon.  I hate to be so specific but sugar concentration is to important.  You might want to edit your post. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:44:16 am »
NO, sugar concentration is not at all important. Nectar is approx. 1:4, or 80% water. Sugar syrup can be any mixture you want. The bees don't care.
Take two 1 gallon containers. Put 2 quarts water and 2 quarts sugar in one. Put 4 lbs. sugar in the other and fill with water. Stir both until sugar is dissolved. You won't have but a couple ounces difference in the containers.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:05 pm »
That is surprising Wally. I always heard there was a big difference.
I will have to try it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
I have read and heard from some pretty reliable sources that sugar syrup concentrations aren't all that important.  Some folks go crazy on the math.  Just lighter in spring and heavier in fall is all you need to be concerned about.
You are what you think.

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 12:47:30 pm »
Ok, thanks alot

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
I am confused on should I feed or not though. We have stuff blooming but I am just not sure.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »
 I believe this is another of those area specific questions. I personally am planning on feeding until I put a honey super on. Your area might require something different.
You are what you think.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »
As of now what I see blooming is some clover, a variety of local flowers but dandelion is the most prevalent along with hinbit. There is a lot of tree pollen in the air and a lot of maples putting out. Specific other flowers I see blooming is a climbing jasmine, blueberries, and some pear trees around my bees. Once the whole field of clover opens up, and it will probably be soon it will be on.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 02:26:50 pm »
If he hive has 20 lb. or more honey, no need to feed. If it has 10 lb. or less, feed.
Other than the far north, or southern hemisphere, nothing else matters.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 02:31:43 pm »
Ok well I will not be around my hives again until Monday so I will have to check then. Thanks for that. If I do feed and they have plenty of honey will that cause them to swarm?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:33 pm »
No but it makes it harder to keep the feed out of the edible honey.  If the bees do not consume the feed it will get mixed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 03:42:28 pm »
What does sugar water honey look like? With the weekend being all 70's and some rain I would imagine that only more will be in bloom by Monday but I will probably just do a little feed. Can't hurt. I will make sure no feed is on when I put the supers on though.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:43 pm »
If you feed to the point all frames are full and the queen has no place to lay, YES, they will swarm. You have to be sure she has laying room.
Sugar water honey and nectar honey looks the same. They will mix enzymes with the sugar water and make it into honey. It just won't have any nectar aroma, taste, or nutrition.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything