BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

SHB: Red Light 'discovery' ?

(1/4) > >>

little john:
The following link is (essentially) an advert for a techo gizmo to defeat SHB - so take it with a huge pinch of salt (with tomato sauce ...and a huge dollop of mayo) - 'cause it might be the biggest load of horse-sh^t ever - BUT - what if Red Light actually works ?  If I was ever plagued by SHB, then I'd try anything to rid my hives of 'em.

Anyway - fore-warned is fore-armed:
http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-new-cover-lets-in-only-red-light-and-keeps-small-hive-beetles-out/

A couple of AA batteries and some red LEDs - could it really be so simple ... ?
LJ

BeeMaster2:
Looks interesting. My main concern with the lid here in Florida is that too much heat would be added to the hive. I have 2 layers of insulation in the top of my hives to keep the temps down. Each insulation board also has one or 2 layers of foil also.
It really stops the bearding.
To put direct, slightly filtered sun light would bee too much heat.
Jim

Acebird:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on May 18, 2018, 06:49:19 am ---To put direct, slightly filtered sun light would bee too much heat.
Jim

--- End quote ---
But they claim success in FL.
I like the idea of led's with the batteries charged by solar or wind.  It gives the advantage of placing the light at the bottom or anywhere else.  Might be a maintenance problem of keeping them clean though.

BeeMaster2:
This article talks about working their bees at night.
Note to any new bees, working on bee hives at night is not smart. They are usually very defensive. You have all of the field bees in the hive and they have nothing to do but mess with you. Don?t work bees at night.
Jim

Bamboo:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on May 18, 2018, 08:42:33 am ---This article talks about working their bees at night.
Note to any new bees, working on bee hives at night is not smart. They are usually very defensive. You have all of the field bees in the hive and they have nothing to do but mess with you. Don?t work bees at night.
Jim

--- End quote ---

Great advice, unless of course you don't mind getting stung. Some years ago had to put a couple of hives back together after they had been kicked over by some bulls. It was just after dusk so didn't worry about putting any gear on...took over 140 stings on both lower legs as they crawled up!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version