Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: almost November  (Read 2153 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
almost November
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
and the bee's have been hunkered down with temps running from low 20's to high 40's for 2 weeks or more. Today its calm and 59deg's so I just swung into one of my apiaries and as expected there was alot of activity.   What really got me was they were bringing in massive loads of bright orange pollen and there was still many drones coming and going.  Fall colors are long gone and snow will be here any day.   I haven't a clue where they found pollen this late 

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: almost November
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:07:17 pm »
we have not had more than on day in a month over 60 here and hardly any in the fifty's.  It has froze several times.  About two weeks ago we had one day that hit 60 and my buddy said his bees were bringing in pollen too.  I wonder if they can still gather pollen off of dead flowers? 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »
On days that reach 50 or so (may not hit that again for a while), my bees have also been bringing in pollen here in North Idaho as well.  Definately a small harvest crew of only a handful of bees per minute.  Interesting, because the leaves have mostly fallen and all gardens are long dead...I was wondering the same thing...where is it coming from?
-Mike

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:02 pm »
My girls are bringing in pollen by the truck load...of course it was 92 here today :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »
There are trees, shrubs and plants that pollinate at different times of the year. a search in your favorite search engine for spring, fall and winter pollinating growth may bring up species in your area.

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:33 pm »
Danno,

Today I took the dogs for a walk in a field near my house and saw some goldenrod and asters still blooming. Considering the hard freezes we have had I was kinda surprised. Relatively speaking, you live in more of the banana belt of lower Michigan, so maybe more golden rod got spared from the frosts.  :)

I saw a drone fly into a hive earlier this week. For some reason they are still needed. It was a hive that is a bit testy, so maybe they are superseding the old queen. Dunno, for sure.

Jay

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:54:48 am »
American witchhazel and witchhazel may also be another possibility of pollen in Michigan. witchhazel blooms about now through December. of course the honey bee would need correct conditions as already stated.

here's something about American witchhazel http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HAVI4 If one follows through with the links inside, specifics are provided. Any plant species can be researched on http://plants.usda.gov/ just so long as it's in the database

list of plant species in Michigan
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/pw/

As long as I have the common name, I've looked up plants using plants.usda.gov quite a bit for my area.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:41:02 am »
YUp these warm days there pretty busy here.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:59 am »
I don't know much about asters, but they seem to start blooming around here when the goldenrod gets done, and continue blooming after the frost.  I think they may still be going.
Rick

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:30 am »

A few years back, we had a warm week in Jan.  My bees were bringing back alot of an olive green pollen??.  Our weather has been cooler, but still no killing frost and it is just minutes from Nov.
Jim

anything