Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today I Made  (Read 30882 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Today I Made
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2024, 08:11:17 am »
Les,
Here is what I found on Amazon.
https://a.co/d/8KZ1T5D
It doesn?t look anything like your model.
Do you have more info on your model?
Is it on Amazon?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2024, 08:17:42 am »
I just found this on Amazon.
https://a.co/d/095MPZn
Looks like it might bee what you have. Is it?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2024, 08:56:09 am »
Hi Jim,

That?s my laser. The enclosure is possibly the new update and should do the job.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2024, 08:23:33 am »
Les,
Two questions.
What software do you use for designing your cutting and engraving?
Have you tried to engrave your logo directly onto the canning lids?
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2024, 04:16:29 pm »
Hi Jim,

I use Lightburn as it seemed to be the best one out there from what I read. If you want to design complex graphics, other software packages can be used and the drawings can then be imported for burning. I have never tried engraving onto a lid. I think a black metal lid could possibly be engraved. I might have a go later and post the results. Not sure if it would impact on the inner seal or make the lid prone to rusting. The idea is worth pursuing.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2024, 07:08:30 pm »
Thanks Les, I will be checking out Lightburn. Let me know about engraving the lids.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2024, 01:07:41 am »
Hi Jim, I did a quick sample engraving using my name and a bee image and engraved it into an old, black lid. The quality was excellent but when I looked under the lid, it looks as though it may have been a bit hot and marked the plastic seal. I think this could be reduced by either increasing the laser speed or reducing the power. This could be a good option on the tops of honey jars as the process could be easily set up with a jig to accurately engrave about a dozen lids at a time. I don?t think that white or gold lids would work as well as the surfaces would be too reflective. Good thinking Jim, this may be another way to make honey stand out and look a bit different to what is currently available.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2024, 09:59:37 am »
Thanks Les.
I just received an email advising Creality Falcon 2 is on sale for $519, $555 including tax, no shipping. I ordered it and then ordered the cover on Amazon, $69.
Do you have a Honeycomb Laser Bed. Do I need it?
Does this Laser come with Laser design software?
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2024, 10:02:37 am »
I don?t think that the engraving did any significant damage to the seal, do you?
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2024, 01:08:05 pm »
The quality was excellent but when I looked under the lid, it looks as though it may have been a bit hot and marked the plastic seal.
I don?t think that the engraving did any significant damage to the seal, do you?
Les, do Australian canning lids have sealer in the center of the lids as well?  Our two piece lids here in America only have the sealer around the edge of the lid. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2024, 01:16:42 pm »
Les I really like the lids! (Good idea Jim..) It seems the possibilities are unlimited with your engraver. What are the maintenance details for keeping it going such as replacing parts? Are there certain parts can be expected to fail before others? How long will the machine be functional before you can expect to to fail beyond normal repair practicality? 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2024, 02:05:10 pm »
I'm thinking that the seal is around the edged but the entire lid has a protective coating on it to keep foodstuffs off of the metal.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2024, 05:06:14 pm »
Terri, you answered Reagan?s question well. The seal is around the outside but there is a protective layer covering the entire inside of the lid. As I said earlier, a few setting adjustments would probably make a difference to any marking on the inside. There was no damage done but some of the engraving changed the colour of the seal. Jim, it sounds like you got a great price on the engraver. You guys always appear to be able to buy stuff much cheaper than what we can (even after the money rate conversion was applied). If you want to cut any material, a honeycomb bed will be needed. From memory, it did come with a small one but I ended up buying one that was larger than the cutting capacity of the machine. The machine does not come with any software so you will have to purchase it. There are excellent videos on YouTube in relation to Lightburn. I watched quite a few of them to get me started. The thing I like about Lightburn is that most of my design work can also be done on the package. I am a designer and maker rather than an artistic type of person so this software suits me. There is a free trial of the software that runs for a month. I started that way and found it was so good that I purchased it before the trial ran out. I would suggest that is a good way to start. Phillip, I don?t know the answers to your questions. The only maintenance is to clean the laser lense every now and then. The machine will let you know when that is required. A spare comes with the kit as well. I?m sure that the laser head has a lifespan but it is a plug and play unit so it would be easy to replace. I?m not sure how long the rest of the components will last. I?m sure it would be similar to a 3D printer from that perspective. Jim may be able to answer those questions. I will have another play with lid settings in a day or so to see what improvements I can make.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #233 on: Today at 01:32:26 am »
Had a quick 5 minute play with the engraver. Reduced power output and added a some simple text. Will need to play with the design a bit but the result was much better on the inside of the lid. A simple jig to hold lids in place would only take a few minutes to make. A dozen lids could be quickly dropped into position and the engraver could do its thing. It would take about 21 minutes to make a dozen lids using the simple design attached.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #234 on: Today at 07:02:24 am »
You could probably sell those on fleabay and even make a little more with a custom design.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #235 on: Today at 07:34:47 am »
Les,
Do you have any of the flat brass canning jar lids to do a test on? It would bee great if I could engrave them.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #236 on: Today at 08:05:20 am »
No I don?t. Not sure how the gold coloured lids would go. I normally use gold lids for honey but the contrast wouldn?t be there even if they could be engraved. I?ll try one to see how it goes.