Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: E-bike build using a kit  (Read 6100 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: E-bike build using a kit
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 06:22:20 pm »
Thanks guys. As Acebird said, it was more about the fun of building it than anything else. In my situation there was also the cost saving. I could have purchased one much cheaper than the kit I put together but I was after something specific. A comparable e-bike purchased new would have cost over double what I had spent. The next task is to see what range I can get from the battery. I will let you know how it goes.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 11:50:51 pm »
Thanks guys. As Acebird said, it was more about the fun of building it than anything else. In my situation there was also the cost saving. I could have purchased one much cheaper than the kit I put together but I was after something specific. A comparable e-bike purchased new would have cost over double what I had spent. The next task is to see what range I can get from the battery. I will let you know how it goes.

Yes please do..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2023, 02:04:33 am »
I?ve been to town and back four times now for a total of 47km. I?ve still got 2 bars out of 5 showing so another trip would be possible. 60km with that battery would be about what I would safely  expect. Hilly terrain would reduce the range. I put the battery on the charger as I?m not sure how accurate the power gauge indicator is. I would not expect to cover any more than 30-40km in one trip so the battery size will suit my needs. A bigger battery is available but the cost and weight added to the bike also increases.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2023, 03:09:47 am »
That is good service in my opinion Les. How long will it take for the recharge in the battery?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2023, 05:00:31 am »
Hi Phillip,

At a guess I have used about 2/3 or more of the battery. It is a 15Ah battery which means 10 amps needs to go in. I purchased a 2Ah charger which should take about 5 hours to charge. A larger capacity charger can be purchased but it was going to cost extra. The battery will be charged before I go to bed tonight.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2023, 08:46:37 am »
I?ve been to town and back four times now for a total of 47km. I?ve still got 2 bars out of 5 showing so another trip would be possible. 60km with that battery would be about what I would safely  expect. Hilly terrain would reduce the range. I put the battery on the charger as I?m not sure how accurate the power gauge indicator is. I would not expect to cover any more than 30-40km in one trip so the battery size will suit my needs. A bigger battery is available but the cost and weight added to the bike also increases.
I would opt for two smaller batteries then one big one.  You could have a battery at each end location and swap them out (family/friend at the end points)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2023, 06:02:19 pm »
The battery was put on the charger at 3:30 yesterday afternoon. I forgot to check until just after 9:00pm last night. By that time, the battery was charged.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2023, 07:54:44 am »
Tested the battery a bit closer to its potential. I travelled just over 70km on one charge. The battery dropped to one bar out of five when I pulled into my driveway this afternoon.  I?m quite happy with that range. It gave me 6 trips to town and back on one charge with a bit to spare. 80km would empty the tank but I don?t want to let the battery get to that point.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 01:40:25 pm »
That?s excellent service Les.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2023, 06:31:03 am »
The wonderful thing about an electric bike, is if it goes dead you're not stuck...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2023, 03:18:44 am »
This is short clip of an E-bike but I do not know if it was from a kit..

https://youtube.com/shorts/luKUq823OtQ?si=3v5rudkeQafrQfqe

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
That bike has a lot of power. It would be fun to ride but illegal in my neck of the woods.

anything