BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > RAPID BEEYARD GROWTH

Rent for hives

(1/5) > >>

tycrnp:
I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic. We are interested in placing hives on someone else's property. A couple of questions. Do any of you do this? If so do you pay rent or do you give a percentage of the honey?  Any information is helpful. Thanks!

CoolBees:
A few lbs of honey is the normal "rent" rate - to me.

But ... the "rent" is basically anything 2 people can agree on.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: tycrnp on June 06, 2021, 08:11:44 pm ---I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic. We are interested in placing hives on someone else's property. A couple of questions. Do any of you do this? If so do you pay rent or do you give a percentage of the honey?  Any information is helpful. Thanks!

--- End quote ---
The barter system works well when you don't want the IRS involved.  If you are running a business you may want to claim the receipts.  Depends on how big the business is.

tycrnp:
We have operated as a Florida Cottage Food business for a few years, and now we are wanting to expand, start a business.  That's the reason we even considered putting hives on other properties. 

She is interested in be keeping and that's why we put hives on her property.  We are mentoring her.  She has 2 hives now.  We have 7 hives there, and will get honey from all of them this year.

Last year we bartered. We had only four hives there. She helped with the extraction of honey and we gave her about 25% of the honey. I think that is too much, but I want to be fair.  I think your right about receipts if we do become a "real business," so I'll talk to her about cash payment.

Ben Framed:
It is good you found a place for your bees. It is also good that you reached an agreement on terms. As to 25 percent that is debatable LOL. When I was a kid my uncle bailed hay for many of our neighbors. This negation situation came to me then. The deal was the Cattle man with the range got 1/3 of the hay. My uncle kept 2/3s My uncle had invested in the tremendous expense of tractors, cutters, rakes, and hay bailers. Not a cheap investment. On the other hand, the other ranchers had their on invested expensive property.

You could look at it in the same light? You have invested in all equipment necessary for the benefit of your bees and honey and she has invested in the land. No doubt you may find other places that would not charge you any return. So did my uncle. Many times folks would have property and acreage with no cows who simply wanted their place cut free. And my uncle kept 100 percent. There may be folks in your area who wold love to have bees 🐝 on or near their crops and or gardens that would not charge you anything. Some may even pay you. Every situation is different. Good luck 🍀 with your venture!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version