Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello and thanks for having me.  (Read 6768 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Hello and thanks for having me.
« on: May 01, 2004, 12:51:13 am »
I would just like to say hello to everyone here. I have no hives, no experience, but this is something I have wanted to do for a long time.
I wanted to do this but started to late for this year. So next year I am going to start a hive and am reallly very stoked about it.
I am a reasonably logical person and sometimes I will post things even when I have little uderstanding of what's going on. Please correct me. I do not operate from ego and I am here to learn and make friends. I really like this place and I hope to be a good addition to this site.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 01:20:00 am »
Glad to have you BigRog:

I think the forum is a great place to come BEFORE breaking out the wallet and buying either too much or too little of whatever bee equipment you end up having! Especially if you have a full season to see both successes and failures in the many beeyards that are represented here.

Just think of it: from Alaska to Florida and Australia to Maylasia, we have beekeepers everywhere all trying to make the best of their beeyards, always dealing with pests and preditors, weather and neighbors, we have it all  - it truly is vast and colorful, and I do know that if you keep your eyes open, you will learn a lot about beekeeping here.

If you have read any of my Beekeeping Course (link below) you will get a good start at some of the basic thoughts, but NOTHING compares to the information and feedback that the forum has to offer.

So you are VERY WELCOME to be here with us - there are no stupid questions, just questions we haven't heard the answer to yet! Every day EACH OF US are subjected to new eye-opening events in our beeyards. People who are observant around their colonies, and those who treat their bees with respect do well in this hobby.

But that doesn't mean you can't play too! The most enjoyable part of beekeeping to me is teaching it, then writing and photographing it - somewhere in there is BEEKEEPING itself happily tucked away between those other hobbies. But I still enjoy making nucs, separating frames to raise new queens, tracking the bees using my GPS, treking in the woods looking for new patches of pollen and nectar pockets, etc.

I would make one suggestion to you - when you have made your choices on equipment (especially hive bodies and frames) then I suggest you purchase them early during the Winter time, so you can paint or stain or whatever you plan to do with the boxes, and have them ready for whenever the weather breaks.

Ordering bees should be the only variable in your beekeeping agenda - everything else should be ready and waiting on the bees next season. Winter time is perfect for getting all the necessary equipment ready and (hint) it makes a great Christmas Gift from the spouses and kids!

Have fun here, thanks for introducing yourself.

John
Beemaster
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 07:06:43 pm »
Welcome Big Rog. Now is a time to learn a few things about bees and assemble equipment. You may be able to do as I did to get some of the equipment. My birthday and Christmas was coming up when I decided to become a bee keeper. I placed much of my equipment on the list of things people could get me as gifts. I recived all my protective gear and smoker as Christmas gifts, for my first year as a bee keeper. This last Christmas and my birthday i recived two complete deep hive bodies and frames, plus two complete med. deep supers and frames. I also recieved books as gifts.
Now is also a good time to find a club or some one you can watch when working their bee yard to gain experince.
Again welcome.
 :D Al

Anonymous

Funny you should say...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:25:51 am »
You know, when I started beekeeping, everyone in my family thought I'd gone mad.  I told them to get me beekeeping stuff, but they refused!  I got the idea they just didn't want to contribute to me getting myself killed.  It was pretty funny.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 12:27:17 pm »
lol

It seems like everyone I mention it to gives me the look a dog gives you when you  try to explain physics to them. Head at a little angle, I really would like to understand but it's not gonna happen. Bet that changes when they get some honey!
 My Bday is past but maybe christmas
 Or maybe some people here will clean out their sheds and post some used stuff for us newbees to buy.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline beefree

• House Bee
nutty looks
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 02:25:30 pm »
people sure do think beekeeping is nuts.  even my allergist thinks its crazy, and so do all the nurses in his office... i went for bee venom testing this week (a little late in the process, but i'm allergic to so much other stuff, that i finally had to now...and, YES, there REALLY IS ONE THING IN THE WORLD THAT I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO... honeybees!)  Anyway, the doctor said they don't do bee venom testing unless i've already been stung and reacted to it...i tried to explain that i hadn't been stung yet, but it was inevitable that i would be, since i was keeping bees... and i really shouldn't be doing that if it was going to send me into anaphylactic shock with just one sting... so they kindly decided to give me some piece of mind, and did the testing (and didn't even charge for it, since it was only honeybee venom and not the whole bee kit).. six shots later and i was declared bee-allergy-free!  but they still think i'm nuts, and they totally didn't understand the difference between yellow jackets and honeybees.  it's a good think i'm used to people thinking i'm crazy.... you'll get used to it, too...heh heh heh
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline celtic

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 06:43:07 pm »
I think you will enjoy beekeeping. And I thank John for providing this web site for us as I find it very informitive and helpfull especialy for a beginer.