Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The fun begins....  (Read 1934 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
The fun begins....
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:42 am »
We went to check on a removal for early April yesterday afternoon.  What was a call for one colony turned out to be two colonies.  Both are straight-forward jobs.  One is in a barn, simple, remove board, remove bees, replace board.  The other is in the wall of a building that's to be torn down, so no problems with just removing to boards necessary to facilitate removal.  I'll set both colonies up on the farm there and tend them there.  It's only a ten minute drive from my place.  Great source of feral genetics.  The farm owners said the colony in the building throws a huge swarm every year, and that particular colony has survived a bear attack AND pesticide poisoning.  I'll have to look for a big red "S" on the queen when I find her.  Looking forward to getting some queen stock from them in the future.  Maybe I'll find that mythical "Super Bee" that has eluded science all these years.  I'll keep everyone posted, and post plenty of pictures when the time comes.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The fun begins....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:24:39 am »
Hey, I looked at two colonies on a house today. Nothing like what you're describing though. Its a two story brick exterior, bees in the attic, one on the front left corner that is boxed in and accessible only by removing slates from the roof. Other one cannot be accessed from the attic either, probably have  to go in from the roof as well.

Want to trade?  ;)

Good luck with yours.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: The fun begins....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:41:01 pm »
Thanks, but I'll keep mine.  I really don't like heights.  I don't have a fear of falling, but I REALLY hate that sudden stop at the end.    :shock:  Sounds like you'll need the luck.  Mine will be pretty easy.  Too bad I wasn't closer, as I would really enjoy giving you a hand with some of yours.