Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bee Keeper in VA  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Craig Shevlin

• Brood
New Bee Keeper in VA
« on: August 30, 2020, 01:45:54 am »
Hi,
My name is Craig.  I have an Indoor Arboretum in my house that is attached to an Aquaponics system.  Plants upstairs and the fish in - 275 gallon tanks in basement.  I want to start raising bees.  Have built 2 Hive kits.  Now just need bees.  Always looking for suggestions about what bees to get that work better here in VA, zone 7.  Winters average 40 +/- *F.  with a couple of weeks at freezing.  Live on a very large lake, and am about to plant 1 acre of Red Crimson Clover so next spring my bees have some nectar to chase down.
Any suggestions?
Anyone here from the Smith Mountain Lake area of Franklin County?

Craig Shevlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Bee Keeper in VA
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:36:25 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
If you are looking for bees for in door, buy Bumblebees.
For outside, I recommend Italian bees, especially for starting out. An acre of clover will help one hive survive but probably not enough to make a lot of honey.
We always recommend to start with 2 hives. That way you can see how they often times develop very differently and if one hive is struggling, you can use resources from one hive to help the other one.
Good luck and don?t bee afraid to ask questions here on BeeMaster. We love to ask questions.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:55:02 am »
welcome  :happy:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:32:48 pm »
Welcome, Craig. Consider putting out a few swarm traps, and catch some local bees. They are perfectly adapted to your locale. If your trap holds Langstroth frames, then you can move the frames of bees into your regular hives.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 11:45:59 pm »
Aloha Craig and welcome. Lots of info available here. Don?t hesitate to ask questions and join discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk