Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiary sites Western Oz  (Read 3815 times)

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
Apiary sites Western Oz
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:51 am »
Hello to fellow West Aussie keepers, I have been searching for information on apiary locations within WA and have had no joy.
Does anyone have a list or picture showing crown land available to us.

Thanks for any info provided.

Aaron

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Apiary sites Western Oz
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:06:46 pm »
Hey G'day..
Some light reading to go wth your Kellogs today;

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-and-animals/animals/beekeeping-on-crown-land-in-western-australia

Your're in good country if you choose to move around a bit come August to maybe late November... then there
is the autum bursts most years. All rain dependant of course. I ran an outfit out of Noggerup quite some years
ago now, good living/lifestyle but no money in bees back then. That has changed, I believe.

Cheerio..

Bill

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:26 pm »
Just right this morning but still went well together.
Thanks for the link, had come across that one before,  may have to email the boys and girls in the office to sqeeze some info from them.
Just the beginnings of looking into a small scale setup.
We get unique flowers in WA and with little pest/disease problems makes for a market,  Asian market is gaining lots of interest due to quality and no use of chems in the hive.

Thanks again Bill.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:46 pm »
heh.. mostly a "dingo's breakfast [1]" for me with eating happening about now - 0930hrs.
Long time habit :-)
Yea, a lot has changed in BK world in the past two decades, compared to that in place
when I entered into what really was a continum of an old world. Like my hands on mentor
never bought anything but gal.nails making everything himself. Compare the ethos to
approaches like buying a packaged Flow hive and the difference is very stark.
A good thing for Australia, it is why we must all do our bit to keep that bloody varroa mite
out of the equation. In Perth and Fremantle I would encourage all to run at least one
VM monitor colony. As we saw in Townsville early warning is maybe our only saviour.

lucks to you and yours..an' mind how you go :-)

Bill

--
[1] "quick piss an' a look around"

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:45 pm »
Ah ha I've found it.

https://dpaw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0530f8114d69496db97f6118f70c4e01

Hmmmm, not much available, bit hard to find a spot.

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:49:13 am »
"Hmmmm, not much available, bit hard to find a spot."
err I can't see any vacant spots?

I presume that means a spot is only categorized as "vacant" if it has been previously used and given up for some reason.

That would suggest that you need to find fresh new spots that no-one else has applied for (ensuring they're not too close to a current spot) and apply for them yourself.
The other obvious trick is to find a nice bit of paddock next to rather than in the crown land and liaise with the resident cocky rather than ye guvment.

Nice map that... does anyone know if we have anything similar over here on the eastern side of the island?

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:36 am »
Yeah it is slim pickings here if going for official sites. The few vacant sites dont look so good on google satellite, very remote, dry and little vegetation.

Been very lucky and have a location on a citrus orchard (4-5 times a year flowering) and surrounded by state forest with lots of Jarrah trees.

Also have just liaised with another farmer to put hives on his apple orchard. Very excited as we want to develop a small business.

Hope you find a map similar to this one.