Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ABC-XYZ of Bee Culture  (Read 7174 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
ABC-XYZ of Bee Culture
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:09:53 pm »
What is the current edition of this book?
doak

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: ABC-XYZ of Bee Culture
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:42:14 pm »
41st
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:12 pm »
Thanks, don't know where my mind is. could have looked in one of my cat's.
doak

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »
Lots of neat stuff in them cats  :)book got some intresting things to say also  :)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:33:38 pm »
I bought the 31st edition a few years ago for $10. Reading some in it.
doak

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:18:03 am »
my copy of the hive and the honey bee is sixth printing 1982 only 25 years to date maybe i should buy a new one.wouldnt want to fall behind.(Nahaaa) :lol: RDY-B

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 01:47:32 am »
About the only thing that would be added in the new ABC would be the mites, hive beetles.  "this latest stuff" hasn't been diagnosed yet. So I'll wait. :roll:
doak

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:53:20 am »
well it would be nice to see the photos in color :-D RDY-B

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:12:19 am »
I have had the 41st edition for a few weeks now (cost: $59.95). Its release date was Jan.07, delayed till May. It is a nice reference book with some of the latest research on the Honey bee, but nowhere does it mention Michael Bush  ;)  There is no one book that rules in beekeeping, they all have something to offer, however I am finding more and more each week that Michael's website www.bushfarms.com to be a GEM. As you dig deeper into the info he has, such as the writings of Jay Smith, you'll realize that the old but proven techniques make more sense than the newer. Thanks Mike for your website.  :-D

BeeHopper

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 10:58:47 am »
I have the 1877 version, the 1945 edition, the 35th edition (1974) and the 38th edition (1980) of ABC XYZ of Bee Culture (although the 1877 version is titled just "ABC of Bee Culture")  I wouldn't part with any of them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:58:14 pm by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 03:36:34 pm »
Michael Bush's site has poop of Knowledge
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 07:25:02 pm »
I have to agree, Michael Bush's site is awesome!  But like Michael Bush said, I also cannot live with out my copy of ABC's.

What's the difference between the 40th and 41st editions besides the cover?  I don't wanna fork out the cash for the latest copy just for a different cover.

Also how does "The Hive & The Honey bee" compare to "ABC's"?

Michael Bush, where did you find the 1877 copy?  That is so cool!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:10 pm »
I have to agree, Michael Bush's site is awesome!  But like Michael Bush said, I also cannot live with out my copy of ABC's.

What's the difference between the 40th and 41st editions besides the cover?  I don't wanna fork out the cash for the latest copy just for a different cover.

Also how does "The Hive & The Honey bee" compare to "ABC's"?

Michael Bush, where did you find the 1877 copy?  That is so cool!

Sean Kelly

Sean,

abebooks.com has many  L.L. langstroth's books. I found this gem " A Practical Treatise of the Hive and Honey-bee, published by A.O. Moore & co. in 1859. You have to go to the end of the list to find the older books when you type in langstroth's name in the authors box.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 12:33:44 am »
Ditto on what BeeHooper says.
I found an out of print book on another subject there.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 02:15:17 pm »
>Also how does "The Hive & The Honey bee" compare to "ABC's"?'

The old one by L.L. Langstroth is available from Amazon and is very good, but is nothing like ABC.

The new "Hive and the Honey Bee" is more like ABC except organized less like an encyclopedia and has less little tidbits.

>Michael Bush, where did you find the 1877 copy?

I've bought old books many places but I'm thinking that one was ABE books.

>  That is so cool!

I have cooler books.

I have an original Huber's New Observations on the Natural History of Bees (1841 edition), L.L. Langstroth's Hive and the Honey Bee (1860), Carl Killion's Honey in the Comb (1951), a signed (by his entire family) copy of Eugene Killion's Honey in the Comb inscribed to his neighbor , an original of Doolittles Scientific Queen Rearing (1846), Jay Smith's Better Queens (1949), Jay Smith's Queen Rearing Simplified (1923), Issac Hopkins The Australasia Bee Manual (1886), Snelgrove's Queen Rearing (1981), a bound copy of all of the 1886 American Bee Journals, and that's just the old ones...

Mostly, though, I bought them to read them and then, because they were so hard to find, I've been putting the out of print, public domain ones, on my web site.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 02:16:45 am »
Man, I love old books.  I saw a copy of ABC's from the late 1800's on Ebay that I bid on and lost.  I've been keeping an eye out for old beekeeping books at the thrift stores and garage sales.
Speaking of old public domain books, has anyone read The Histori of Bees, by Charles Butler?  You can read a large part of it at http://jducoeur.org/Cookbook/bees.html.  It's from 1634, a total trip to read.  So much has changed in the last 270 years.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »
I saw a bunch of old ABC XYZs on Amazon and you don't even have to bid on them.  Just buy them.  :)
-------------------

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 09:22:46 pm »
A great place to find old used books is www.bookfinder.com   They are a conglomeration of used book dealers across the country and Canada - always can find great bee books there.
Example:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=.6P5DhJSkcXqrJvT5CNxVfaaizo_1455034450_1:9:21

Linda T in Atlanta

anything