Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's lacking with my Bee Blog Site?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline ehoneybees

• Brood
    • be a beekeeper
What's lacking with my Bee Blog Site?
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »
I have a site about bees and one of my friends told me it looks boring. I'm thinking it's informative though.

site: E-honeybees

Thanks,
Erie
Hi, I'm Erie from New York. I am very health conscious and I like to know things about improving one's health. I'm also interested in alternative medicines that we get from natural resources like bees. I would also love to know the benefits of royal jelly and how to be a beekeeper.

Offline Gary and Margaret - kiwimana

• House Bee
    • kiwimana
Re: What's lacking with my Bee Blog Site?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:28:46 pm »
Hi,

Love the front page graphic,

Its probably missing a link to sign up to a mailing list to advise new users of new content.

People like to get emails of new posts, thats my 10 cents.
Thanks

Gary and Margaret
We blog and Podcast at http://kiwimana.co.nz

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »
Pictures.   Take some more pics.   And see if you can loose the ad space in the middle of each page.   But so far you have done a lot of work with the site.   (And I don't like emails  :-D)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:30 pm »
I liked it a lot - very informative.    I agree that more pics are a good idea.  The ad space doesn't bother me.   

Good luck!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:14 pm »
I just looked at it for the first time and agree that you need pictures.  One of the difficulties in beekeeping is that unless you can find them on the Internet, there are not many pictures of what things look like.  In addition pictures really break up the writing.  People today don't have a long attention span for reading on a computer screen.

My only other comment would be to be very careful about spelling (interesting in your left hand column has only one "r"; paraffin does not have an "e" at the end) because it takes away from your good information if there are spelling errors - easily remedied with spell-check.

I also might consider changing the print color - I know you are going with the honey colored letters, but it's harsh against the red and in our subconscious, red means stop, so you might think about using the honey color with something milder and less commanding than the unconscious message of red.

All that said, the information is good and helpful.

Good luck with it.

Linda T

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:56:43 am »
Hi Erie,

You might like to consider adding more 'blank space' to the page to balance out the large amount of text. For example: add some padding around the advertisements, between the columns, between pictures inserted into text, and between the numbered links in the right hand column.

You might also like to look into a horizontal menu bar (with drop down sub-menus) to go under the header picture. That would shift all the left hand column text links into a compact, easily accessible and neat format.

You appear to have put a lot of work into the information part of the website, which is great.
Jeanette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:02:50 am »
Erie hasn't been to the site since the end of August, and this was her only post.   I'm think she was looking to just get another link out there to help her search rating.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »
What's lacking with my Bee Blog Site?

A lot, it looks boring  :roll:

just a lot of text, nothing to draw ones attention  :-\

mvh edward  :-P

anything