Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Arizona Bee Keepers?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline charliesnike

• New Bee
Arizona Bee Keepers?
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:16 am »
Just returned from a trip to Arizona. We stayed in Navajo County for several days visiting friends and really liked the area, specifically around Holbrook. I was interested in any beekeepers in Navajo or Apache Counties and what is good and what is bad about beekeeping in the grasslands there.

Thanks!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Arizona Bee Keepers?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:26:31 am »
Funny you should have mentioned Az, but I don't recall seeing anyone from there posting on here. It may have slipped by me though.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline nella

• House Bee

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »
There is a place called the honey shack in Pine az. On a few Elk hunting trips, i have picked up some very nice local honeys from them in the past. One type in particular, Wild Mountain Pecan is very dark, and had an exceptional flavor and if I remember correctly, came from a type of grass growing around there.

They are on the web, maybe you can talk to someone there.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:42:11 am »
I used to live just South of there in Pinetop/Lakeside/Showlow area.  Lots of sage in the area, scrub cedar and pine.  Yes there is a unique wild grass up there.

My biggest worry in AZ would be AHB.  My dad lives in Tucson and every year he sends me stuff about bee attacks.  I would think one would really have to stay on top of things, because the drones from other hives could breed your queens, might be best to on a yearly basis buy a fertilized queen to avoid that problem... 

Winter winds can be an issue.  Protect them from that, and it does get as cold as -20 occassionally......brrrrr.

Hope it helps....lots of bears there too.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

anything