Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2020 New Queen spotted in hive but no eggs or larvae  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Jay P

• New Bee
2020 New Queen spotted in hive but no eggs or larvae
« on: March 01, 2020, 10:01:41 am »
Hi everyone my name is Jay and I am new to beekeeping. I started in October of last year(2019) and have had tons of fun and excitement with my hive. I just recently back on Febuary 3rd found a queen cell cup with a 4 to 5 day old larva in it. So I made my first split. Almost 3 weeks later on the 23rd of February(2020) I checked the hive again and was excited to find the new queen with her head down in a cell, but I wasn't sure if she was mated already or not. Since then I checked the hive another day and could not find the queen anywhere and there were no eggs or larvae after a few days, does anyone know if the queen could just be hiding and not laying do to the temperature recently? I am in NW Florida and the weather has been kind of brisk out and nearing upper 60s throughout the day should the queen be laying or is this part of the wintering process and should look for eggs in the spring? Thanks for everyone's time and knowledge in advance I hope she is ok and I didn't roll the queen by mistake. Any suggestions from fellow beekeepers?

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: 2020 New Queen spotted in hive but no eggs or larvae
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »
Close it up and give it another week. Good luck

Offline Jay P

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:46:08 pm »
Thanks I did have a frame that had two queen cells on it and when I last checked they had been removed so im hoping that is an indication that the queen is in there still

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
She should be, on the new queens I try not to go in the full 30 days, I got eager last year popped up a hive on the date she should be laying and couple hours later I noticed a ball of bees on the ground they rolled her. Sawdustmaker advises they can do that if they think the new queen is not doing her job. I hope you have good luck also may want to put location in so other Amy help
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:12:40 pm by jtcmedic »

Offline Jay P

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 02:45:05 pm »
Oh wow I bet that was a bummer and thanks I was eager also I think she was in the process of measuring a cell when I saw her the first time and she must have gotten spooked but the bees are very calm also I believe she is still there thanks again for your help and do you mean provide more detailed location? I have Florida on my profile

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:44:22 pm »
I'm not very experienced, but just a thought: Are you sure she has actually had an opportunity to mate?  You mentioned the weather hasn't been too nice there lately, maybe she just hasn't been able to get out and mate yet.  Are you seeing drones in your area yet? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jay P

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 09:00:45 pm »
That is a good question, I have seen drones coming from my original hive and I also have a hive that I removed from someone's shed that a few weeks ago had drone brood in it so I assume that drones are out and about nearby but I guess it could be possible she hasn't mated yet I haven't had any indication that she has mated yet so possibly not. Thanks for the suggestion