Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey in jam/jelly  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
Honey in jam/jelly
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:55:03 am »
Anyone have good jam/jelly recipes that use honey instead of sugar or as part replacement for sugar? I still cannot quite figure out what the ratio should be - the "honey tip sheet" says to replace at half but that does not seem to work out right. I am also looking for mulberry jam recipes since i just discovered I have a tree that will produce fruit this year!

Here is the best honey jam recipe I have come across (it is from cooks.com) - maybe I will just sub other fruits for the plums and see how it goes!

Honey Plum Jam
(makes about 8 1/2 pints)
Pit and finely chop/slice 4 pounds of plus (about 6 1/2 cups)
Add 1 cup of honey and let marinate overnight in covered container
Put contents into a large non-reactive pot.
Add 4 cups sugar mixed with 1 box of no sugar needed powdered pectin (like sure-jell).
Bring mixture to a rolling boil for 1 minute
Add 1/2 teaspoon butter to keep from foaming.
Mash gently and bring to a rapid boil again.
Remove from heat, ladle into jars and process for 5-10 minutes.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey in jam/jelly
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:22:38 am »
I attempted to make strawberry jam from the sure-jell instructions... First I put in one packet of sure-jell, then after that failed to set, I reboiled it with another... it still failed to set with twice the amt. of pectin.  I don't think I'll use sure-jell again.

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:51:16 pm »
WOW JESSABOO! THAT SOUNDS SOOO GOOD! AND MY NEIGHBOR HAS PLUMS I CAN STEAL!! WOO HOO!  THX! HEATHER

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:01 am »
Heather, I meant to mention this.  Take off the caps lock, pleeeeeze, the capitalization of the letters makes it really hard on the eyes to read, no offence to you, but it is difficult.  Have the best of this great day, girl, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:58 pm »
Hi Heather -

You are most welcome for the recipe. It is one of my overall best jam recipes (of all of them!). I haven't made a new batch this year but our plums should be coming in soon so I hope to make a few new batches.

I am also going to experiment with a fig/blueberry that I adore and see if I can get the honey in there to sub some of the sugar. I'll let you know if I get to it and how it turns out.

SgtMjr - sometimes pectin can be a pain. If you have some time on your hands, you might be better off doing the slow boil thing. It takes awhile but is worth it in the long run. Leave out the pectin but boil the jam for at least 1/2 hour at a low boil. You have to keep up on stirring or it will scorch. You will be able to see it thicken and, of course, it will set up a bit more as it cools.

- Jess

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:53 pm »
I know! I know! Ive been yelled at a few times already....Took me a min to figure out what everybody was talking about so I just kept on typing!!! lol sorry guys!!!
Heather

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »
 About 8 years ago I made "Prickly Pear" jam. It ruined a few pairs of gloves cuzza the stickers, but that was acceptable I suppose. I had tons of the purple pods(called tunas) so I doubled the ingredients..Low and behold, I ended up with Syrup!! :-x ...
 You know why?..Because, the last line in the recipe said "Do not double recipe"....Fine place to put that little note, huh? :(

:-D

your friend,
john
oh, sorry....dont know anything about using honey instead of sugar :-\

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:12 am »
I ended up with Syrup!!

That's what I got instead of strawberry jam... I think my problem was putting the first batch of berries in the blender instead of just mashing them... at least that's the only angle I can go with that I haven't already proven wrong.

anything