Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What type of Honey Bees to purchase???  (Read 2881 times)

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
What type of Honey Bees to purchase???
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »
I'd like to know what breed/type of honey bee will do well for me as a new beekeeper here in NY on Long Island? I'm located in Plant Hardiness Zone 7, in the middle of the Island equal distance between the North and South Shore.

I also would like to know if there are any beekeepers local to me that sell Nucs or Packaged  Bees that would do well in my location.

My money is hard earned and I want to start with the right bees so that I will have a good shot at becoming a successful beekeeper.

Thanks in advance
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: What type of Honey Bees to purchase???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »
Search online and make contact with your local bee club.  The members can key you in to what works best in your area.  Including bees, equipment, & management techniques.

A search online netted me these links:
(http://longislandbeekeepers.org/)

AND;

Long Island Beekeepers Association
Joanne Thomas
340 East 93rd Street
Apt. 27C
New York, NY 10128
Phone: 212-410-2200
fitjoanne@gmail.com

Make Mead!

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:38 pm »
Most folks start with Italian bees.  Those are the most available and probably the least expensive. Do you plan to raise your own queens once the hive is established?  Remember that if you are open mating you own queens, the genetics of your hive will quickly move to whatever is prevalent in your area, regardless of what type bees you start with.

Unless you want to always be buying new queens, it's best to raise your own.  It's less expensive and you get genes that are well adapted to your area.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:46:37 pm »
Thank you Hemlock

Yes Frame I was entertaining the idea of raising my own queens if I do well with the two hives I plan to start in the spring of 2012. I purchased my woodenware from Mann Lake. I'm starting out with two deep 10 frame hive bodies and 3 medium supers fro each hive. I went with a solid bottom board and top feeders along with queen extruders. My equipment is coming on Monday 11/7. Gives me plenty of time to get everything assembled and painted or stained.

That's another question I have. Can I use Marine Spar Varnish on the exterior
 of all hive components?  I like the look of the wood  etc..... and with painting it will eventually peel and I'd like to avoid that. Any recommendations as far as stains etc......?

Thanks so much
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »
Can I use Marine Spar Varnish on the exterior
Sure.  Most go with the cheapest stuff they can buy and reapply every few years.  (Cheapest being the miscolored paints at the local box home store; 5$ for a gallon)  Some boil the woodenware in wax & rosin for lasting power & the natual look.  If you paint do so early.  So the VOC's are long gone by the time the bees need it.

Oh, and some people get cypress hives and leave them bare.
Make Mead!

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:44 am »
Depending on how close together you are going to have your hives, you might not want them to look identical. Color variations help the girls tell one hive from another and find their way home easier.
linda d

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:36:48 am »
in regards to painting your woodwn-ware.... if you want to protect your investment go with a high quality oil base primer & paint. check your local paint shops for custom color orders that were not picked up. the paint stores let non picked up blends go cheap. i got top of the line oil base paint this spring for $3.00 per gallon.  i would even paint cypress. the stuff they're milling these days does not hold up like the old growth cypress of 100 years ago. i built a historical porch with cypress 20 years ago. the customer opted for ext. latex paint. that porch is falling apart now.

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:55:43 am »
I build and maintain woodenboats,

Paint lasts far longer than even high quality varnish. When varnish begins to fail, you must go back to bare wood to keep it looking good. Paint just needs to be sound and clean to recoat.

Varnish is way more time and money to apply and maintain.

Raw wood well vented will last a long time in many environments, especially if rot resistant species (heartwood only) are used.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 08:47:23 am »
As a beginner myself, I suggest if you can get local 'mutts' and if not, get some Italian as they say they are the most mellow, and in the city I think that is only courteous to your neighbors....But I have only ordered my bees, so what the heck do I know?????
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:33 am »
+1 on the Italians.  There are many races of honeybees, all with pluses and minuses, but most average bees out there, even the mutts, are primarily of Italian origin.  Just make sure they are mellow  8-)
Rick

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 04:17:35 pm »
I don't really know if there's such a thing as a "pure" breed of any bee.  I can say they can be mostly one breed or another.  I would also say Italians.  Just for the gentleness factor.  I like to sit next to the entrances of my hives and the select bred bees will follow me around the area and light on me thinking there's food involved.  Sitting in front of the computer with the window open they fly in and look me over, when it's hot, they drink my sweat.

Ask at your local beekeeping club.  You will probably find someone who has bees that are acclimated to the climate, are selected for gentleness, as well as for productivity.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:45:01 am »
IMO; If at all possible get your bees from someone who hasn't treated and who has raised them in your region.  Race makes little difference IMO.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:13 pm »
I prefer local mutts.  My next choice would be Carniolans.  My next choice would be Caucasians.  My next choice would be Italians.  My next choice would be Russians.  But any will do ok but not as good as locally adapted stock.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesraces.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin