Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My SBB's when to change the BB's out?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
My SBB's when to change the BB's out?
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:02 pm »
My 2 SBB's arrived from Brushy Mountain today.  I have to pry staples off the old hive body, take the wood BB off, then add the SBB on...

I think we will be able to make more should we need them after seeing how they are made.  I am supposing that the screened bottom is not a detriment ( disturbing the environment in the brood box )...

Should I wait until the weather evens out here ( one day it is 80, the next 60...then dun then fog..ggrrr )...
I am feeling that I should wait before putting the SBB on...Advise needed please, and thanks.

If the temps allow I will change out the brood box tomorrow and place the brood in an improved hive body...I worry that too many changes too soon will be harmful?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: My SBB's when to change the BB's out?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:12 pm »
You can change out the SBB's anytime during the day.
The SBB will have no effect on the existing brood.
Unless the brood body is in bad shape you don't have to change it out.

If you have to change out the brood box make all you changes at once. One big switch is less disturbing than several small switches. The less you are in the hive the better.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:22:18 pm »
>I have to pry staples off the old hive body, take the wood BB off, then add the SBB on...

Which is why I would never staple them on unless you're moving the hive.

>I am supposing that the screened bottom is not a detriment ( disturbing the environment in the brood box )...

If the weather is warm you can leave them open.  If not I would put in a tray of some kind to block the cold.

>I am feeling that I should wait before putting the SBB on...Advise needed please, and thanks.

Any day in the 60s or more would do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:39:46 pm »
Some came with staples some not...be naive, and unedumacated re: bees, we thought staples ones "must be better"...we won't permanently affix the SBB to the brood box...

Danke