Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ProVap EZ 110  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
ProVap EZ 110
« on: November 01, 2019, 10:49:03 am »
I just got one of the new ProVap EZ 110's.  After the disaster I experienced using MAQS, I went back to using OAV on the remaining 60 hives and they are all doing fantastic.  I realize that I will have to periodically repeat the OAV treatment on warm days when the bees are flying during Winter and early Spring but I will at least have bees that are healthy and alive to treat as opposed to the 50 MAQS treated hives.

I am currently using 2 ProVap 110 OAV guns that I go back and forth between treating my hives which works very well and adding the 2nd ProVap 110 has really sped up my ability to treat more hives in a day by about 50%.  I tried introducing a 3rd ProVap 110 into the mix but there are just too many ceramic caps to efficiently run 3 ProVap 110's together.  I decided to try the ProVap EZ 110 as it does NOT use the ceramic caps but uses as steel capsule that is just jammed into the OA and dropped down the tube handle.  I am hoping that I can run both ProVap 110's at the same time while operating the ProVap EZ 110. I will post my results and observations once I have used it a good bit.  It is easier for me to just post the video of how the ProVap EZ 110 works than try to describe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8J1Pjs9nY

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
Re: ProVap EZ 110
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:25 pm »
Hit them with it while they are broodless once the depths of winter sets in.  No brood means no place for Varroa to hide.  No hidden Varroa means a complete kill.  Want insurance? Still repeat 3 times over winter.  You will have hammered the mites into the grave.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:35:10 pm »
Live Oak, I have the provap 110V.  I adore the tool, takes every bit of 8 seconds to evaporate the OA to vapor.  Fast, faster than I can seal the entrance.

I?ll have to check out the new provap you speak of!!
Thanks for your input.

BahBees, agreed!!!

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 03:01:52 pm »
I also have the pro vap110 and I was very happy with it until I saw your video lol.  Now I want one like that!  Way easier to reload OA.

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:05:28 pm »
Do you have a link to it?  I'm not finding it.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:09:11 pm »
I watched the video, totally cool.  I?ll stick with my ceramic caps as I limit my apiary to 20 hives or less.  My truck has 110 volt outlet on the bed so I use my truck as the electrical source.  A long extension cord and I can reach every hive without moving my truck.  Easy I tell ya.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 04:23:19 pm »
Thanks Mr Live Oak for the revelation on this new provap. Sounds like a good idea. I will check out the video first chance.
Phillip

PS. Your experience with the formic products has pretty much nudged me away from the thinking of formic. I suppose I will be sticking with OA also, but do plan on looking into other supporting options as well.
Phillip

Nov 2 . just checked the video. Interesting.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:37:15 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 05:49:06 pm »
Phil, good decision.  I have known of hives lost with Formic acid.  All it takes is a sudden rise in temp to 85-90F and the whole hive is a goner.  The successful beeks using Formic acid pay close attention to the daily temp.  The advantage of Formic acid is the acid penetrates wax thus nailing varroa in the capped brood cell.  But consider how strong this Formic acid is if it can penetrate wax.

I have no knowledge of a hive lost to Oxalic acid which is much more forgiving, much less toxic, much easier to handle.
Best to the bees.
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:47:21 pm »
Phil, good decision.  I have known of hives lost with Formic acid.  All it takes is a sudden rise in temp to 85-90F and the whole hive is a goner.  The successful beeks using Formic acid pay close attention to the daily temp.  The advantage of Formic acid is the acid penetrates wax thus nailing varroa in the capped brood cell.  But consider how strong this Formic acid is if it can penetrate wax.

I have no knowledge of a hive lost to Oxalic acid which is much more forgiving, much less toxic, much easier to handle.
Best to the bees.
Van

Well spoken Mr Van, all good points. Thank you...
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:09:20 am »
my lawn tractor runs 12 v, so I just pull it over and use it as my source.  Makes the power source portable and rechargeable!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
There are several options in using the 110 style vaporizers. The small generators are an option, I use a 12 volt battery with a power inverter. The 900 watt tailgater has been mentioned. I bought one but was Disappointed, after apparently purchasing a lemon. I plan to try another one. I really liked the easy mobility with the light weight idea. I Must have got a bad one. Worked well the first few times and a few days would not start. Took it back for a refund. I have neither the provap 110 nor the johno. I built one myself which is a cross between the two but with a different twist and features which I feel is superior to either.

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 10:23:30 am »
Oh Ben framed you have piqued my interest. Would you share pics and description of your vaporizer?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 02:43:30 pm »
Oh Ben framed you have piqued my interest. Would you share pics and description of your vaporizer?

Look for a PM

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 08:09:06 pm »
.... I went back to using OAV on the remaining 60 hives and they are all doing fantastic. 

Live Oak, I thought you were using the thermal treatment, the mighty mite? Is that no longer viable?

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:03 am »
I still use thermal treatment.  I just got far behind due to medical and family commitments.  In my opinion, thermal treatment works best by far but is very time consuming especially when treating large numbers to hives.  I rotate back and forth between OAV and thermal. 

I DO NOT recommend MAQS or Formic Pro in the strongest terms unless you want to risk poisoning your bees. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 11:58:27 am »
I still use thermal treatment.  I just got far behind due to medical and family commitments.  In my opinion, thermal treatment works best by far but is very time consuming especially when treating large numbers to hives.  I rotate back and forth between OAV and thermal. 

I DO NOT recommend MAQS or Formic Pro in the strongest terms unless you want to risk poisoning your bees.

Mr Live oak, I use an InkBird PID Temperature Controller (mini-computer I suppose), for my own vaporizer. This is used along with a thermocouple to insure pin-point temperature accuracy. I am thinking that perhaps you can design your own units to fit your needs,  possibly with similar basic equipment needed to control temperature inside the hive, to accomplish a safe, accurate treatment that you desire. This way you can run several units at a time., as many as your imagination will entertain, instead of running one at a time. That way you reduce your treatment time down by volumes? This should be fairly easy to accomplish?
Phillip

Offline WMitchell

• Brood
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 08:55:39 pm »
Curious if you have feedback on the Provap EZ 110 vs the Provap 110

anything