Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Relaxing In or Global Warming  (Read 2535 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Relaxing In or Global Warming
« on: December 25, 2023, 11:28:18 pm »
I took almost 20 gallons of honey this year. Way more than I need. I always seem to have more bees than I want, but bees make more bees, so what?chya gonna do?

I seem to get a little lazier every year. This year, I left one excluder on, on purpose. It?s not that I don?t give a frass. I really think my winters are mild enough that it may not matter. Christmas Eve, no fire, all the windows were open. Looks like a repeat tonight. We will see some cold, but it?s so inconsistent between 30 and 70F, maybe it doesn?t matter here. My bees fly 50-70% of the winter.
Anyway, back in the fall I moved the bees out of the middle of the back yard, and put them in the tree line, mostly shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: Relaxing In or Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 08:47:02 am »
Winter clusters use more resources/faster when it's warm than if it would just get dark and stay below 40. The QX might bite you, obviously depending on other factors.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 06:01:02 pm »
Our temps haven't been quite as warm as those of you out in the piedmont, but I am having to feed 3 colonies due to them mowing through their stores too quickly.  They haven't eaten the feed as fast, since it's gotten colder now.  I'm going to try and leave a little more honey next year, because it's been several years now that we've had a warm snap and some of my colonies run low before the solstice.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 07:38:08 pm »
Maybe I should go lift the backs of the boxes and check. I was gonna hit them with some OA soon anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 10:39:02 am »
Let's see if you repeat this statement this weekend. It is forecast yo drop to 13 Saturday night. :angry: :cheesy: :cheesy:

PS. The SHB are gonna love you for the shade. They can't stand the sun. You should be able to raise hundreds now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:49:37 am by iddee »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 10:54:21 am »
Its 10f degrees 'here now' Iddee. My bees could use a little Sun and Global warning about now. And so could I!  lol   Where is it?  :shocked: :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 11:30:10 am »
It is forecast yo drop to 13 Saturday night. :angry: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Its 10f degrees 'here now' Iddee. My bees could use a little Sun and Global warning about now. And so could I!  lol   Where is it?  :shocked: :wink:
We're looking at a low of 7F on Sat.  Brr!  We were supposed to get snow today, but they changed the forecast to rain now that the high went up a little bit.

PS. The SHB are gonna love you for the shade. They can't stand the sun. You should be able to raise hundreds now.
I have my hives in the shade and I don't struggle consistently with SHB, but I do get a bad year every few years it seems. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 11:35:32 am »
We're looking at a low of 7F on Sat.  Brr!  We were supposed to get snow today, but they changed the forecast to rain now that the high went up a little bit.

I have my hives in the shade and I don't struggle consistently with SHB, but I do get a bad year every few years it seems.
The lowest I'm seeing forecast for us is 14F. I can never figure out how it can be warmer to the north but it happens a bit.

salvo

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 09:55:42 am »
Hi Folks, MATT,

Matt. Please explain the meaning of QX.

Does it mean *probability of death*? It seems to fit the discussion.

Sal

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 10:19:02 am »
It finallly warmed up here.  It's -8 F.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 11:01:53 am »

It' was +3f here in the Sunny South when I got up this morning! The Bees are nestled in their beds hoping for a little of that promised Global Warning! Where is it? lol  :wink: :cheesy: :grin:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 11:13:28 am »
Hi Folks, MATT,

Matt. Please explain the meaning of QX.

Does it mean *probability of death*? It seems to fit the discussion.

Sal
Queen EXcluder. 

It' was +3f here in the Sunny South when I got up this morning! The Bees are nestled in their beds hoping for a little of that promised Global Warning! Where is it? lol  :wink: :cheesy: :grin:
We were at least into double digits this morning.  But I'm pretty sure I get up later than you guys.  :wink:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 11:51:00 am »
It?s 3am here. Just got up because I couldn?t sleep. 70 degrees here. I guess it all balances out. You guys are getting some cool weather up there. You would have to puta beer in the refrigerator to stop it from freezing. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 11:58:47 am »
It?s 3am here. Just got up because I couldn?t sleep. 70 degrees here. I guess it all balances out. You guys are getting some cool weather up there. You would have to puta beer in the refrigerator to stop it from freezing. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Les I Might have to get in the refrigetaror myself just to keep from freezing! lol   :cheesy:   :wink:

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 01:04:56 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 12:05:04 pm »
We went down to 11 here last night, supposed to climb to 22 or so today. Yesterday we got about 3" of light snow, which the wind has piled nicely in my driveway. I'm hoping that my loader works for me today, it likes to act up when I really need it.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 05:35:22 pm »
70? This must be a typo?
It is heating up here again and the humidity is  a stinker.
I had people picking up two nuc's last night and I had a hard time getting the blighters into the box ( I'm talking bees)
I used a spray bottle with cold water. Creating some artficial rain generally helps.
I don't like to smoke the bees when they have to travelled.
With a bit of luck the last nuc for the season will go tonight - the end of another splitting/queen breeding season.

Nice to have a bit of cash too.
I have already spent some on a new SS container with one of these specai taps.

The sun is out right now but the first shower for the day can't be far off :cheesy:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 06:42:45 pm »
70? This must be a typo?
I'm pretty sure Les put the temperature in Fahrenheit for the benefit of us Americans.  :happy:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 08:05:39 pm »
If it wasn?t in Fahrenheit, we could be in a bit of trouble. I think it might be time for you guys to change over. I grew up with the old system and feel comfortable working it both. I was told many years ago as to why America has resisted. If it is true, you guys are pretty smart. Being a strong manufacturing country that exports all sorts of machinery, when spare parts are required, they are generally sourced from the manufacturer rather than being produced locally due the the different measuring systems.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 08:16:24 pm »
Interesting, I've never heard that before.  I just figured it was because we were lazy and didn't feel like learning something new.  Or because we just like confusing the rest of the world.  :cheesy:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 08:22:10 pm »
You may be right there Reagan. You also drive on the right side of the road which basically means Aussies drive on the wrong side?..

anything