Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee removal from cornice, back side of a shopping center store.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Here is a removal that I completed today.
Note the name of the store that the hive built their hive over. Ironic.

The hive is under that metal cap, right next to the pipes. The pipes were actually pinning the cap down. We did not know it but the front of the cap was folded under a metal strip that was nailed to the front of the cornice. It made it very difficult to remove the cap.

After we removed the cap, here is what we found. A rubber seal with plywood under it. We were expecting fiberglass over styrofoam, plywood was much easier.

Sorry, photos got messed up and even after several attempts, I could not fix it.

Continued

Jim

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee removal from cornice, back side of a shopping center store.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:50:46 pm »
Her is what we found when we lifted the plywood.

Here I am vacuuming up bees. These are very gentle bees. We did get run off once when I lifted a large section of comb that had collapsed due to the heat. I think I did get one sting. John took 3 stings.

Here is John.

Continued

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
Here you can see the comb and the piece that collapsed.

After I removed the comb, I found that a lot of bees were hiding in the section to the left of the comb. I put my camera inside a small hole to get this picture.  I vacuumed up as many as I could, not easy and then used Beequick to get them out. It took several repeated sprays to move them.

Here is the void after the comb was removed.

When I was done I reinstalled the plywood and sealed the cuts with duct tape.

Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:11:47 pm »
Then I replaced the rubber seal and sealed the seams with duct tape.
My job was to remove the bees and to temporarily close it up.

Here I replaced the metal cap.

I did seal up the entrance from the inside to keep the bees from returning. There were about 20 bees that stayed at the entrance.

Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:13:41 pm »
Hope this will help someone that might get to do the same type of removal.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 12:52:07 am »
That was a fine job that y'all did!  Very intreating. You never know what you are going to run into when doing a project like this. Y'all handled it well and a very professional job at that!! Thanks for the pictures and sharing the experience and information.  How did y'all get all your equipment up and down the top of the building?  That must have been a job in itself!  Thanks again, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

PS And how convient for the proprietor (Brazils Waxing Center). They could buy back the wax form you and claim to have on he premises produced organic wax!!  :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 03:33:05 am »
Jim, what a great job done.  Very professional too!
Thanks for sharing.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 06:39:13 am »
Good job. Reminds me of this one.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:43:52 am »
Phil,
We used the vertical ladder/hatch dooor that was in the mechanical room. Used a rope to pull everything up, and then when done-down. I was glad it was there. The alternative was to pull it up and over that wall, no thanks.
Thanks for all of the nice comments.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 12:32:46 pm »
You are welcome,  I had one a few weeks ago that was tough to get to. Was completely on the farthest place on the houseIt was so hot and I had no help. By the time I had lugged everything around (up concrete steps, decks etc I was worn out before I started up the ladder!! I learned the true value of a wheel barrow. I went and picked it up , before it was time to reload the truck.   Keep up the good work.. Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything