Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bringing in pollen in northern IN already?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline brolib

• New Bee
Bringing in pollen in northern IN already?
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:29 pm »
We've been enjoying unusually warm, sunny Spring weather in Logansport, IN. Lots of activity around the hives, as might be expected. But lots of pollen being brought in. What could it be? Maple?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Bringing in pollen in northern IN already?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:44:24 pm »
Maple puts out early for us here. How early is this for yall?

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:09:15 pm »
Very early! The snow just melted with a strong possibility of more snow for another month. Dandelions probably won't appear for another month.
I'm very new to beekeeping. This is my 3rd winter. I was pleased as punch to see the girls bring in stores. At first I thought robbing, but all three hives had full pollen baskets going in; none coming out. I have a couple of double deep hives at a friend's house 5 miles away and he reported the same. The bees are bringing a lot of something into the hives.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
I'm in south central Indiana.   We've got no pollen.  Way too early for maples still.  Possibly your bees found some bird seed?   My bees are all over the bird seed and chicken feed dust. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »
The only thing blooming around here is a few patches of chickweed.  Like Rurification said they probably found some feed dust.  I have several neighbors within flight range that raise cows.  I assume that my bees know where the feed is.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:20:23 am »
So, can they eat the feed dust, or are they mistaking it for pollen? I have also read about bees gathering sawdust, which certainly wouldn't have any nutritional value to bees I would think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:20:03 am »
So, can they eat the feed dust, or are they mistaking it for pollen? I have also read about bees gathering sawdust, which certainly wouldn't have any nutritional value to bees I would think.
This is from millions of years of building their hives in hollow trees.
They have to pay the rent to the termites.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:35:02 am »
Mine are cleaning out our bird-feeder, really getting after the dust during this warm spell.

I would imagine every feed-bunk and bird-feeder in my area is seeing a lot of bee activity when there is no pollen.

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:27:03 am »
Feed lot dust and bird feeder dust sounds likely. We are on the edge of town with both within bee range. Thanks for the input.

anything