Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First issue with new PC  (Read 5421 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
First issue with new PC
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »
Ok.... I knew it would happen eventually, but here goes.

When I start the computer, all of a sudden (after getting help with a Compcast "Norton" tech) I noticed a Windows noise - 5 distinct beeps and traced them to DEVICE FAILED TO CONNECT sound. I then went to hardware devices and sure enough, it shows the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it. It says "5" and beeps 5 times, meaning SOMETHING isn't seeing that all my DRIVES are BOTH CONNECTED and WORKING FLAWLESS.

The MAIN ISSUE is the 5 beeps, spaced oddly over a minutes time when I boot up, but EVERYTHING seems to work perfectly, from SD, DVD, Blu-Ray, Terra Backup and of course the PC - WTH????

I did not have this issue until WHILE in text chat (and Comcast had control of my PC to fix the Norton issue) and I heard the bleeps - thinking though it was something that was happening that the tech was doing. But after I shutdown the PC and started it back up, it started then.

I recovered to an earlier date, repeating what the tech did - see the issue was I had TWO versions of Norton, one preinstalled that didn't remove proper and the Comcast that I installed. I went back as far as I could and reinstalled Norton, it works fine now (as does EVERYTHING ELSE) but still in Hardware devices it says about the PC (TROUBLESHOOTING NEEDED)

anyone run across this??? I'm getting a hold of Gateway, but wanted to tackle it a bit, it is odd, NEVER have I had a device listed in Device Manager that WORKED when it had the yellow exclamation mark next to it - and ALL DEVICES (when the drop down tab is clicked) are drives and everyone is marked as troubled but all work fine. I'm stumped on this - happy everything is working as it should, but the five beeps will drive me nuts, just knowing something sees errors is bad enough, but to hear it LAUGHING AT ME  :roll: stinks.

Anyone had this happen???
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First issue with new PC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »
you can see if you can turn the warning beeps off in the sound manager.  :-D  if you have conflict warnings you can delete the device in the device manager and let it find/reinstall when you re-boot.  make sure you have updated drivers on everything.

windows 7 is supposed to be pretty good at keeping you updated on that stuff, but you might check for updates anyway.  i don't allow windows to do auto updates, but maybe you do and it's not an issue.

i have a constant conflict warning on one thing.  thing works fine and i have never been able to do anything about the warning.  ?? though....do you turn your computer off?  much easier just to let it sleep when you are not using it.....

anyway....that's the extent of my thoughts  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »
Well Kathy:

I got a hold of Gateway online text chat support, he was aiming toward a destructive recovery, something I was not up for. I suggested dealing with each driver one at a time and he said "you could try that first" and I did (just before reading your post) and I deleted each, one at a time, reinstalled the drivers and BIG (freakin') GO it worked - JUST LIKE YOU SAID SO.

Next time, I'm calling you!!!!!

It just boggled my mind 6 messages and everything was working fine - boy this turned out to be a better day that I thought it was gonna be :)

Thank you my friend for the right answer - I laughed when I read your post AFTER I fixed it, that is some of that Irish Luck (not the Irish Curse - 2 different things) but you made my day :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »
when i have a problem like that i can't sleep until i solve it.  many a night could have been saved if i'd remembered to do the simple things first  :-D  glad you figured it out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »
Just a little note. Im not sure how you really feel about Norton but I have seen a lot of probelms with Nortons on all different operating systems. Dealing with one now with a Dell where Norton is blocking a printer.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:58 pm »
I've had norton go out of date, and I would decide to try some other virusscan/firewall. Uninstall norton and then have it interfere with stuff from the grave. more advanced techies will tell you (correctly) that my uninstall was insufficient and that some further steps were needed. point is lots of people had the same problem, norton refuses to let go, even in cases where it's been commanded to by the user.
I think the tenacity of it can be a good thing, but knowing how to use it to its best and highest advantage can be difficult.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:18 pm »
I've had norton go out of date, and I would decide to try some other virusscan/firewall. Uninstall norton and then have it interfere with stuff from the grave. more advanced techies will tell you (correctly) that my uninstall was insufficient and that some further steps were needed. point is lots of people had the same problem, norton refuses to let go, even in cases where it's been commanded to by the user.
I think the tenacity of it can be a good thing, but knowing how to use it to its best and highest advantage can be difficult.
At nortons website,there is a Norton uninstaller that actually removes the tentacles the included installer does not.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080416133836EN
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20080710133834EN
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:37:31 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »
buzzbee, Good information. Thank you!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:45:29 am »
I knew there was a trick to it, and I'm sure there's tricks to taking best advantage of it, but I just never got the hang of norton, whole different OS now though. - A lot of what frustrates me with computers is the heavy heavy use of jargon, where I get so lost in the acronyms and functions, that I forget what action and steps I was trying to pursue in the first place.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:20 am »
now you got that sucker fixed. how bouts lets giving it a test run on ventrillo. been missing our guiding lite
to bee or not to bee

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »
now you got that sucker fixed. how bouts lets giving it a test run on ventrillo. been missing our guiding lite

Ditto