Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from down under  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Hi from down under
« on: December 15, 2021, 01:31:05 am »
Hi Folks

Just a quick hello to forum members. I?m a pretend beekeeper with about 30 hives who just enjoys the learning curve of  this hobby. Even though I?ve been keeping bees for about 10 years, I feel that my knowledge is somewhat limited. I remember spending some time with a fellow beekeeper a few years ago who said that he was in his 84th year of beekeeping and he was still learning. I now understand what he meant. Hope to learn heaps and contribute in my own little way from time to time.

Cheers

Les

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hi from down under
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 01:35:41 am »
Les, I can concur. It seems I am learning constantly. It is nice to have you join us here at Beemaster. Yes, please contribute as you find your way around making yourself comfortable here, hoping we can contribute to you as well!

Sincerely,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 02:12:18 am »
Thanks for the welcome Phillip. It?s good to be here. I am sure there will be plenty of questions to stretch your brain cells from time to time. It?s also good to be able to talk to people who are out of sinc. in relation to ?down under? seasons. Some of the issues you guys experience from day to day don?t exist (as yet) in our neck of the woods which means your experience and knowledge will be invaluable.

Cheers

Les

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 02:57:25 am »
Hello Lesgold, and welcome to Beemaster. I've had hives for the last 7 yrs. I have learned that I know nothing.  :cool:

This is a great forum. Ask away!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 03:33:46 am »
Cheers Coolbees. Looking forward to having a chat.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 11:08:36 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, Lesgold!  :happy:  I love having more Australians on the forum to keep us northern hemisphere beekeepers occupied through the winter.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 05:58:37 pm »
I know what you are saying. It must be getting quite cool up on top. We are struggling at the moment with 27 degree days. (Sorry about that)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 07:53:59 pm »
Lesgold,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 08:05:08 pm »

G'day Lesgold,  Welcome to Beemaster You had better let us know where you live as I have explained to other members that there is a lot of difference between Arnhem Land and Tassie and all the places in between.  Cheers,  Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 09:43:26 pm »
Hi Jim. Thanks for the welcome. It?s good to be here. Good morning Geoff. Not sure what you are talking about??..As you know, Australia is just an island. 😎😎😎

I live on the NSW coast about 3 1/2 hours south of Sydney. I?m on a couple of acres surrounded by bush that always seems to have something flowering. It?s not a bad place to keep a few bees. I?ve been retired for 5 years and play with about 30 hives just for a bit of fun. COVID lockdowns have given me a lot of time to think, invent, build and test ideas related to keeping bees. I?ve been toying with comb honey sections this year and have enjoyed the journey in relation to putting some of my ideas into practise. Anyway, that?s me. Looking forward to the conversations and listening to the thoughts and ideas of the many beekeeping wizards on the site.

Cheers

Les

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 12:08:53 am »
Hi Lesgold;
I read in your last post that you are interested in comb honey. I am as well. May I suggest you checking out General Beekeeping, if you have not already done so. Topic:  "Prices for honey products..." (Started by Bob Wilson).  There you will find some interesting post concerning comb honey developed by bees in jars instead of frames.

Phillip

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:41:31 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 06:00:28 am »
Thanks for that Ben Framed. That really put a ?smile on my dial? There are some clever, lateral thinkers out there. So simple -  but isn?t that generally the case. Quite often some of the best ideas come from people who think outside the square. If we could only teach the bees to put labels on the jars???

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 06:07:19 am »
Thanks for that Ben Framed. That really put a ?smile on my dial? There are some clever, lateral thinkers out there. So simple -  but isn?t that generally the case. Quite often some of the best ideas come from people who think outside the square. If we could only teach the bees to put labels on the jars???

Your welcome, and agreed!  :cheesy:

Offline microage97

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 11:38:57 am »
Welcome to the party!!!!

Dave

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 04:17:10 pm »
Thanks Dave. It?s a great place to pick up ideas and learn from others. People have been really friendly.

Cheers

Les

Offline microage97

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 11:27:36 am »
Thanks Dave. It?s a great place to pick up ideas and learn from others. People have been really friendly.

Cheers

Les

I can't agree more. I've learned a ton from these fine folks.

Dave

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2021, 10:26:37 pm »
Welcome Les

I'm just North of you! :wink:

Perhaps I need to jump on board and make some comb honey too.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 12:52:14 am »
Hi Bee North,

Looks like you are just up the road from me.(A bit over 2600km to the north) A mere 2 1/2 days drive. We'll have to catch up one morning for a coffee. You?d probably have some good food for your bees in your neck of the woods. Give the comb honey a go. It?s a lot of fun. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers

Les

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 03:34:36 pm »
Welcome, Lesgold!  Indeed, we are lifelong learners.  The more I work with and learn from them,  the more I realize how much more there is to learn.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 05:28:27 pm »
So true. At least we are surrounded by people who are willing to share their collective knowledge. That alone helps in the path that we have chosen. Thank you for the welcome.

anything