Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Bees/Naturally  (Read 4675 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Feeding Bees/Naturally
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:35:34 pm »
I see a lot re: feeding bees, bee feeders, sugar water, HFCS, pollen patties and such...

High Fructose Corn Syrup is horrible for humans, I am guessing it isn't so great for bees either...What would be the "oraganic" method of feeding bees?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Feeding Bees/Naturally
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:41:58 pm »
organic or Eco is only honey. the best SUBSTITUTE for the stolen honey is rafined white sugar. pollen patties are something completely different.
but i think that feeding honey is not recommended, at least the unknown source honey, because of possibility of AFB or other diseases

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:08:42 pm »
OOOHHHH I see...so that is why no honey....does anyone here feed oraganic sugar from sugar cane?  Are there supplements that are ever added to the sugar water to fortify the drink??

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:25:17 pm »
sugar cane sugar? that's the brown one right? unappropriate, too much "hard stuff" in it, they can't digest it.
adding vitamins can't hurt, people do it all the time, from adding a table spoon of vitamin powder drink, to adding vitamin C tablets. very common is also feeding "tea", from thyme, absinthe, sage...even mixing garlic and adding it.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:26:32 pm »
I use a frame of honey sometimes from one of my hives when I have a swarm.I also don't take all the honey either I let them have enough to get through the hard times like in the last of july and in August.But in the spring when things start to pick up I take honey then also. I don't feed anymore.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything