Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I get them out ?  (Read 5923 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How do I get them out ?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:37 pm »
Wombat,
Bee sure to tape your pants to your boots. With shaking bees at night they will bee crawling every where and they will not bee happy.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
With shaking bees at night they will bee crawling every where and they will not bee happy.

Lol.  It's a mistake you only make once!   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »
With shaking bees at night they will bee crawling every where and they will not bee happy.

Lol.  It's a mistake you only make once!   :grin:

A mistake I already made collecting them LOL
David L

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 08:12:06 pm »
I was at the bees with my granddaughter some years ago.  Without thinking, I put a frame on the ground near my feet while doing the inspection.  I had taken her out with me so she could learn not to fear the bees....so when they started up the inside of my pant leg, there was no way dance and holler as I would have if I'd been alone.  I had to very calmly strip off my jeans right there in the field and not cuss when I got stung.  She might have thought it odd that grandma was stripping, but she was not afraid of the bees!   :cool:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »
Grandma stripping that had to make an impression.  Ha, ha ha ha ha ha.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:58 am »
Not happy - they have absconded - only robber bees hanging around
David L

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:18 am »
I "rescued" bees in an owl house last year.  Lots of SHBs.  They absconded twice and I brought them back to their nice new home.  When they absconded the third time, I gave up.  Sometimes they just don't appreciate our "help."
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 03:14:13 am »
One word (sort of) - SHB. Absolutely riddled with lava and quite a few beetles. Not slimmed just taking over. I was taking off the plastic and all the lava started falling out - gave then a good dose of surface spray then burnt the box Opened the lid during the burning and the comb was crawling with lava and quite a few SHB as well - not anymore. Another lesson learnt.
David L

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:45 am »
I sorta expected as much.  Everyone says if bees have too much space to defend, SHBs thrive.  Okay, I'll go along with that, but the converse seems also to be true, judging by your experience and mine.  That owl box was full of comb and had lots of comb built and filled outside, as well.  Lots of bees.  I made the mistake of trying to transfer comb into frames with rubber bands, and that just gave the SHBs a new home.

I would suggest that when we encounter a box like that we should shake the bees into a "new" hive body with drawn comb, burn the old box, honey and all, and give the bees a couple of frames of comb with brood and eggs.  Feed as needed.  Some SHBs will get in the hive with the bees, but the vast majority will die, and if the new box is appropriately sized, the bees will be able to take care of the situation.

I hate to lost the Brood and honey, but that's better than losing the bees.

I hate to lose the honey, but
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 08:12:20 am »
Sorry about repeated phrase.  I went up to correct something and couldn't get down in the box to finish the sentence.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:37 am »
I hate to lose the honey, but
click on "Modify" and you can delete it out.

If you freeze the box it will kill everything and then the honey can be used for the bees without danger of transferring SHB or wax moths.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:18 am »
Not on my iPad.  I see the top of the box and can't go down to delete anything not showing in the box.  IPad is convenient, but there are limitations we just have to live with, I guess.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 09:09:12 am »
I just did it on my wife's Ipad mini with no problem.  Not sure what is happening.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:09 am »
Mine is an od iPad, or maybe it's just me