Welcome, Guest

Poll

Bee club in NC ?

In Forsyth County?
0 (0%)
In Stokes County?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hello form Rural Hall NC  (Read 3138 times)

Offline 4hillspoultry

• New Bee
    • 4 Hills Poultry
Hello form Rural Hall NC
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »
HI everyone. We have been raising chickens for about 5 years now & wanting to start keeping bees. After I found out that the birds and bees will get along fine I've decided to start the process of learning more about bees. Found some good material at the library. WOuld like to know if their is a bee school or bee club in Forsyth or Stokes county NC. Maybe someone local that has been keeping for a long time to help me along.

Thanks and have a Blessed Day,
Blessed of The Lord with an amazing wife, 2 Great Boys, 1 Golden Retriever sir Riley Hill, Show Quality Bantam Sumatras, & 1 day soon Honey Bees.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Hello form Rural Hall NC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »
I'm currently in Guilford county. Welcome to the site!

I'm not sure what exists in your area, but if you contact the NC State Beekeepers Association, they can put you in touch with your local branch.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:12:32 am »
4hillspoultry, welcome to our forum.  Chicken raising, how cool, me too.  Glad that you've joined in.  The birds and the bees, ain't it the truth, all go hand and hand.  Stick around, we love new members, and have that most beautiful day, full of love, health and sunshine.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:54:36 am »
List of North Carolina bee clubs:
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/chapters.htm

Offline 4hillspoultry

• New Bee
    • 4 Hills Poultry
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:12:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome. The link helped. Looking forward to getting some equipment this fall and winter so I can get use to it and how it goes together. Would like to get me first set of bees (still learning the lingo) in the spring. Would you buy used hives from someone or order new? I've seen several sets on Craig's List.
Blessed of The Lord with an amazing wife, 2 Great Boys, 1 Golden Retriever sir Riley Hill, Show Quality Bantam Sumatras, & 1 day soon Honey Bees.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:42 pm »
Buy Langstroth equipment to begin, then branch out from there if desired.
Forsyth is this coming Sat. night. They eat at 6:00 and the meeting starts at 6:30. Food is free.

Guilford meeting is next Tues. Night. Eat at 6:30, meeting starts at 7:00. Food there is free also.
Hope to see you there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:57:51 am »
I'd buy a package (i.e. new bees, not an established hive) my first go around.

There was an article in Bee Culture about the importance of using Nucs over packages for first time buyers. A good read. However, I think there is a nostalgia factor in installing your first package. You'll never forget it. Purchasing a nuc is kinda boring, but pouring 3#s of bees in a box, that lasts a lifetime.

Offline 4hillspoultry

• New Bee
    • 4 Hills Poultry
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:29 pm »
Buy Langstroth equipment to begin, then branch out from there if desired.
Forsyth is this coming Sat. night. They eat at 6:00 and the meeting starts at 6:30. Food is free.

Guilford meeting is next Tues. Night. Eat at 6:30, meeting starts at 7:00. Food there is free also.
Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the info. What are the addresses? Will not be able to make Forsyths due to catering already booked but maybe Guilford would work.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:17:09 am »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*