Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fisher wood heaters ???  (Read 319 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Fisher wood heaters ???
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:50:35 pm »
I grew up with a wood heater and now have an opportunity to buy a nice fisher Papa bear at a good price. They have it in a fireplace and cannot actually answer my question of "is it a fireplace insert, or an actual wood heater?" I don't know enough about them to know.....but I don't think fisher actually made an "insert" ......I am of the understanding that they only made free standing wood heaters. What's you guys thoughts? I'd like to get this thing this weekend, but it's a good ways from my house, and I would hate to make the drive just to find out that I can't use it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Fisher wood heaters ???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:28:43 pm »
Can they send you a picture? Could you tell from that? Just a thought. I have a Woodstock soap stone stove and I love it. I used to have a hearthstone stove but after 13 years the door latch wore down and the door would no longer close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:47:49 pm »
Eric, I have seen some pictures of it. But I just don't know enough about it to tell from the pics. It's tucked into a fireplace and hard to tell. It's not way in there like most inserts I've seen. And i have seen some wood heaters that have been used that way. I think I'm gonna buy it anyway, being a Fisher in good shape I can't go wrong either way. But I'd be bummed out if I couldn't use it.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:25 am »
Check this site out. Not sure if it really answers your question.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-papa-mama-and-baby-bear-details-bear-series.86736/
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:37 am »
Here is another site. They do not say that it is designed to go into a fire place but on another type of wood burner they specifically say that that one is designed to go into a fireplace. Sounds like the Papa Bear is a freestanding.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:13 am »
I would walk away from any steel plate welded constructed stove but putting it in a fireplace makes it even more inefficient.  Save your money and get a Vermont Castings.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:23:52 am »
I had a Fisher's Mama Bear in the basement of a 4 room house, with vents in the floor. It heated all 4 rooms and the bath 24/7 in North Carolina. Georgia would take even less heat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*