Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Feds and disasters  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: The Feds and disasters
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:52 pm »
That sounds reasonable...

It doesn't sound reasonable at all.  This country is based on everyone being equal and given the right to vote.  It took a while to get the voting age to 18.  Most 18 year old's don't pay taxes.  So you want the people with all the money having the most say?  That is mob rule in my book.
The electoral college is still a majority vote.  The only difference between the electoral college and popular vote is that the electoral college assumes the people of the country are uneducated and can't read and write.  This was the right assumption more than 200 years ago but the wrong assumption today.
The real problem with the last election was not electoral college vs. popular vote.  The real problem is that the election was affected by the interference from a foreign country through corruption and treason and the mobster won.  Fifty years from now the classified documents will be released and PBS will have a documentary on exactly how it was done assuming the people still have control of this country.

Hummm... I would argue that today perhaps people most people know how to read and write, at least enough to vote. That doesn't mean that they are educated about public policy and the beliefs of the politicians for whom they vote. So please tell me why there is a difference today. If anything I think we may be worse today because people no longer remember the revolutionary war that was fought for our liberties and our government is doing everything in its power to take them from us.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2017, 05:09:08 pm »
Knowing doesn't undo that.
Knowing should prevent it from happening again but it hasn't yet.
I know, wacky leftists keep getting elected.

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »
Wacky leftists keep electing wackier politicians with leftist ideas.  And they think wacky right-wingers keep getting in the way of progress.  So it goes in every land.  Look at the election in Germany.  Better yet, look at the 1934 Grrman elections for how far things can go astray.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2017, 06:07:13 pm »
Wacky leftists keep electing wackier politicians with leftist ideas.  And they think wacky right-wingers keep getting in the way of progress.  So it goes in every land.  Look at the election in Germany.  Better yet, look at the 1934 Grrman elections for how far things can go astray.
Interesting you mentioned Germany in 1934. A few months ago I read Ann Frank's diary. All I could think about was the Second Amendment. If half of the Jews had a gun and were able to kill just 1 SS officer would the holocaust have happened? I read Big Lie earlier this month and realized that not only can it happen here it has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:31 pm »
I've heard that only about 5% of the citizens (subjects? Slaves?) of the USSR were Communists, yet the Reds controlled everything.  The Nazis reached their high point in popular vote in 1932 with 38% of the vote and got only about 30% in the election of 1934, but look what happened there.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2017, 07:15:03 pm »
Eric, which book titled The Big Lie?  There are several.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left
 by Dinesh D'Souza

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:56 am »
>Better yet, look at the 1934 Grrman elections for how far things can go astray.

Well, Hitler wasn't elected...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_rise_to_power

He was an Austrian and not even eligible to run for any office in Germany.  Hitler coerced Hindenburg to appoint him as chancellor and then coerced the Reichstag to give him emergency powers, making him dictator.  Then when Hindenburg died, Hitler took over as commander-in-chief of the military.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2017, 09:45:26 am »
>Better yet, look at the 1934 Grrman elections for how far things can go astray.

He was an Austrian and not even eligible to run for any office in Germany.  Hitler coerced Hindenburg to appoint him as chancellor and then coerced the Reichstag to give him emergency powers, making him dictator.  Then when Hindenburg died, Hitler took over as commander-in-chief of the military.
Good point... But I still say that the Second Amendment would have either prevented the holocaust or at the very least decreased the killing of innocents.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2017, 11:25:34 am »
>But I still say that the Second Amendment would have either prevented the holocaust or at the very least decreased the killing of innocents.

Even with very few weapons they held off the Germans for a month in the Warsaw Ghetto.  What if everyone in the ghetto had been armed?  Even half of them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:51 am »

True, but he was elected -- or at least his party was elected -- in 1934.  I'm unclear whether his name was on the ballot or the Reichstag made him fuhrer.

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:21 am »
>But I still say that the Second Amendment would have either prevented the holocaust or at the very least decreased the killing of innocents.

Even with very few weapons they held off the Germans for a month in the Warsaw Ghetto.  What if everyone in the ghetto had been armed?  Even half of them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising

Agreed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »
>...or at least his party was elected -- in 1934

The party was elected, yes.  As an Austrian he was not eligible to run.  He was not elected to any office.
-------------------

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2017, 03:42:02 pm »
Then they annexed Austria to rectify that little problem.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
>Then they annexed Austria to rectify that little problem.

I think he declared himself a German citizen before that, but yes, no one could accuse him of not being German after his homeland was annexed as part of Germany... of course no one could accuse him of anything without ending up in a death camp somewhere...
-------------------

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:47 pm »
 by Dinesh D'Souza

Wow, this book is in high demand.  There are 14 requests ahead of my on the wait list for Dallas libraries.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28:56 pm »
Wow, this book is in high demand. 

If you have not read him before, look up some of his other books.  He's very good at putting things in perspective and in terms everyone can understand.  Another good author is Mark Styne.  His book America Alone was especially good although a few years old.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Online Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
Thanks, Kathy.  I've been listening to a lot of fiction on audiobooks lately because my eyes were cloudy, but I had YAG laser treatment and can read again, so I'll try those authors.  Fiction seems to work best on audio because I don't have to think about it.  I've listened to most of the Jack Reacher and Harry Bosch books on disk when traveling.  Makes the miles go by better.  Now I'm using Overdrive on my iPhone and that works well, except my library's selections are a bit limited in compatible formats.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »
 by Dinesh D'Souza

Wow, this book is in high demand.  There are 14 requests ahead of my on the wait list for Dallas libraries.
I just bought the audio book. I have about an hour drive each way to work and pass the time with audio books. When I got my BS degree I used the text to speech engine on my phone to read the text books to me. Only reason I did well in a couple classes... Ethics comes to mind. The book was written by a Penn State professor and discussed at length the ethical behavior of the coaching staff of the Penn State football team. It was about a year after I graduated when the truth came out. I sent a message to the professor asking if they were planning to change the book for the course.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »
Thanks, Kathy.  I've been listening to a lot of fiction on audiobooks lately because my eyes were cloudy, but I had YAG laser treatment and can read again, so I'll try those authors.  Fiction seems to work best on audio because I don't have to think about it.  I've listened to most of the Jack Reacher and Harry Bosch books on disk when traveling.  Makes the miles go by better.  Now I'm using Overdrive on my iPhone and that works well, except my library's selections are a bit limited in compatible formats.
Because I am a resident of New Yuk State I got a library card to the New York Public Library. I have not been impressed with the selection of digital books. Certainly not audio books. My problem is that the wait list is so long that by the time it comes available I miss the mail message and then  I miss the reserve time.