Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lots of dead bees within 5 feet of hive.  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Cindy

• New Bee
  • Ms. Bee Haven
Lots of dead bees within 5 feet of hive.
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:13:06 pm »
Well, I have been down with a ruptured tendon and unable to get to the south forty,
 feet that is, where my two hives are, for 3 weeks.

Finally gimped my way back today and found lots of dead bees.
On the screen bottom covering about a third.
Saw a spot that looked like something wet stained the wood between the screens on the bottom.

Possibly a few larger pieces of comb on the inside of the screens.
Around the front of the hive only saw two bees alive.
Didn?t open anything up because it was in the low forty?s.

I?m a new beekeeper and just about a month ago they looked
happy, healthy, no beetles, no mites, one moth,
and busy collecting goldenrod with frames full of winter reserves and lots of bees.

Today I saw one die as it left the hive and fell to the ground.
There were 3 dead hornets too, but hundreds of dead bees. [attachment=1(whole bodies )

What could have caused this?
Is there anything I can do if they have been poisoned?
I hate that I'm thinking someone did this on purpose.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:22:50 am by Cindy »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Lots of dead bees within 5 feet of hive.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:01:28 am »
Neighbors using pesticide.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:05:51 pm »
There were 3 dead hornets too, but hundreds of dead bees.

Late in the year.  collecting food for winter.  Robbed?  I had had entire hives killed by yellowjackets at this time of the year.  What kind of hornet?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:28:18 pm »
I'm thinking more bee parts than whole dead bodies if killed by YJ or hornet. Someone correct me if I am wrong there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »
Without knowing the treatment history of the hive, I would guess that this is the beginning of the die-off of the summer bees.  If varroa numbers were high it could be a virus problem.  Usually in cool/cold weather the undertaker bees will drop the dead close to the entrance rather than far from the hive.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
The only thing that I have found that causes this is either pesticide, or the tracheal and varroa mite load is very high.  Happens every year here in NYC which does aireal spraying for mosquitos, and it's awful.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 10:45:18 pm »
I don?t know, but by reading what others have posted, I would hope Ar is right but kind of think iddee and 2Sox hit it, unless yellow jackets do not leave body parts as questioned by iddee. This is interesting, sorry for your heavy losses of this hive.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:47 am »
Picture is too fuzzy to see if the bees are cut up but Yellow Jackets is my bet. They are in front of the hive and inside.
Are there still live bees in the hive?
Can you hear them when you put your ear to the hive?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 07:59:12 pm »
Usually in cool/cold weather the undertaker bees will drop the dead close to the entrance rather than far from the hive.

I think this is true, as our nights cool down into the 30s. Although we're still at 60-70 daytime, it's cold early in the morning.  Thought I'd better check to be sure, when I saw three dozen dead bees at the front of the hives today.  I used a jeweler's loupe to check the bottom tray for mites - none whatsoever.  I was hoping they weren't out of food because of the drought here!

The top frames were looking light, so I made them a sundae....sugar mush with vitamin C and zinc, a crush-and-strain goo topping, and a pollen patty straw. :) The kids seemed to love it.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/eea.12342