Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: coyote  (Read 11116 times)

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
coyote
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:40 pm »
I just got through reading the thread on rattlers and it put me in mind of this.

We (me and the bee hive) are buckled down for a snow storm scheduled to arrive this evening (thank you Texas via Michigan and all you beekeepers in between). Since I have no bee input as a result thought I would share this photo, taken by my friend Rita on Saturday morning in the park where I walk my dog every morning.
I don't think they eat honey but I'm inclined to agree with Yosemite Sam .... 'varmints'!
IMO relocation desperately needed using any means possible!

Any comments?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:43:54 pm by fshrgy99 »

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: coyote
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
Rusty, we finally found you boy. Thought you were lost forever! :-D

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »
Musta crossed over at Port Huron :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Hey, how come our smileys are so small now? :-D
Can someone supersize me?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »
I have lots of photos of them from my game cams from fall.  Down here they are a non game animal.   Which means take them out any way you want (or can).   I know they are taking over half the young deer born in the spring.  We don't have the rabbits around like we did before they showed up either.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:23:36 pm »
Have been testing some 110 grain in my 2A1 Gibbs. covering a 3 shot group with a quarter at 100 yds. I will be getting my 223 Handy Rifle off lay-a-way this week. hope to get at them soon.  around Memorial Day is a good time around here to catch them out during day light hours, tracking Fawns. hope to do it soon. :)dos s

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:58:10 pm »
We had the Fox hunter's club bring them here and release them on purpose. I don't even know why, honestly (really, no clue). The coyotes don't waste time populating, though, and they apparently had a coyote assembly line tucked away in the woods. They're non-native, and a problem.
No reward on them yet, though, probably because of politics. I  can't speak for Canada, but I'm not sure a relocate is possible - nobody here wants them.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:59 am »
IIRC, relocation would be illegal in AL. I think they are a shoot-on-sight animal in AL, like pigs. Of course, that may have changed in the 4 years since I've hunted there. -js
James M. Wagner

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:10 am »
Up here there is are two camps, those who would like (and 'quietly' do) shoot them and those who leave food out for the poor things! Last year a woman walking her dog off leash saw one within the city limits. She got her dog back on leash and they were both attacked by the coyote anyway. Many stories of dog walkers having their dogs eaten too.

The usual official response is that the dog owner was breaking the leash bylaw by having their pet run free!

The city is a safer place for the coyote than the country where a hunter will pick them off on sight. Also can't discharge a firearm (if you have one and most don't) within the city limits.

I was speaking 'tongue in cheek' when I said 'relocate'. Puts me in mind of an episode I heard about at the university campus a few years back. Some of the grounds crew were called to move a dumpster in a corner. When they did a bunch of rats started running around. The city boys were running around all excited yelling and waving their arms. The only country boy grabbed a shovel and started 'wackin em good'. Some students walking by were offended by the violence and filed a complaint about his cruel behavior!

I'm with Yosemite Sam. I think they're varmints. IMO Some really bad planning if folks are importing them to establish populations where there aren't any.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:14:08 am by fshrgy99 »

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:00 am »
coyotes wont bother a hive but I can tell you from experience they are omnivorous and if they found one tipped over they would eat the honey larva and all.   When I need to trap them in summer my bait of choice is melon

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »

The usual official response is that the dog owner was breaking the leash bylaw by having their pet run free!

....bad planning if folks are importing them to establish populations where there aren't any.

Yeah, when I see a coyote wearing an 'animal control' badge - then I'll consider it legitimate overreach.

I'll offer a really weak defense for the fox hunters - I don't believe they wanted any of them to get away - but those coyotes are more wiley than maybe they expected.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:58 pm »
I saw one just last week in the tree area behind my main pasture. I was walking out of the apiary picking up a plastic bag and my was in front of me. It totally ignored me and the sound of the bag. I looked where it was looking and saw the coyote. It hadn't seen me and I worked my way to the house to get a rifle. I tried to spot him again but never did. Our ginny hen was on the barn roof raising the alarm. I will get my fox call out this week and try to pick him off. One of our cows is about to drop a calf and I hope to get rid of him be gets the calf.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »
I think I hit one with the car the other day on the interstate. Returning from my ambulance job in VA in the wee hours of the morning and this critter just ran right in front of me. I could do nothing and was on top of it almost as soon as I saw it. It was either a dog, a good-sized coyote, or a jumbo grey fox. It was really too big to have been a fox. I really think it was Wiley Coyote. -js
James M. Wagner

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:18 pm »
Have been testing some 110 grain in my 2A1 Gibbs. covering a 3 shot group with a quarter at 100 yds. I will be getting my 223 Handy Rifle off lay-a-way this week. hope to get at them soon.  around Memorial Day is a good time around here to catch them out during day light hours, tracking Fawns. hope to do it soon. :)dos s

I prefer 17hmr with a bull barrel. I got it set to hit 3 shots at 225 yards in the size of a penny. I love it almost no recoil and very stable platform.

john

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00:57 pm »
If you want to reduce there numbers learn to snare.   Its very easy, cheap and sooooo effective.   Here in michigan the law reads if they are doing damage or believed to about to do damage they can be controlled (killed) at any time of the year on private property. That always killes me "well officer he had a look in his eye" 

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:34 am »

I prefer 17hmr with a bull barrel. I got it set to hit 3 shots at 225 yards in the size of a penny. I love it almost no recoil and very stable platform.

john

Looks to me like only one shot would be necessary!!!
.17HMR Vs .22 LR

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:33 pm »

john

Looks to me like only one shot would be necessary!!!
.17HMR Vs .22 LR

yep you can shot them and clean them in one shot. :jerry:

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:58 am »
My Henry "golden boy" .17 hmr is my go-to gun of choice for just about anything that happens along.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:38:51 am »
I have a few 38 cal sodium cyanide getter guns. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »
why ya-all have coyotes we got red fox here
I seen 4 in the city this year, never have before

other critters we have are gigungo lizards down here (some swim)

saw one at least 6foot long and green cross-en the street tried to run it down.
it ran faster than i could accelerate
jay