Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Managing long hives.  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Managing long hives.
« on: February 05, 2021, 12:53:08 pm »
I have finally begun learning how to manage long hives.
This year, following advice on this forum, I opened the broodnest earlier in the season.
When I saw the hives active, entrance traffic increasing, and early spring orientation flights, I opened up the back end and began shifting empty comb and then honey frames (plenty) until I arrived at the first brood frame. I inserted a foundationless empty frame there, and also a frame of empty comb. Then I closed it back up without uncovering the rest of the broodnest.
A few days ago, I inspected a second time.
1.  I inserted an empty frame between the broodnest and the first entrance frame (pollen)
2. I inserted an empty frame between the broodnest and the honey frames at the back end. I looked back a few minutes later and bees were already festooning
3. I pulled some nice frames of capped brood from the strong hive and put them in the broodnests of the two weaker hives.
4. I inserted some Empty frames within the strong hive's Broodnest (BBBEBBBEBB).
As I understand it, this opening up the broodnest:
A. Alleviates congesting/crowding.
B. Gives idle bees space to build comb and something to do.
C. Equalizes resources so no hive is too big or small.
It is the best way to avoid swarming and ready the hives for the upcoming honey flow.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Managing long hives.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 05:09:40 pm »
You have learned alot about long hives!!  Good stuff. Keep up the good work.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: Managing long hives.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:13:23 pm »
Thanks, Bob!

I want to come back to this discussion when I get bees in my long hive.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

anything