Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pod cast/beekeeping  (Read 14820 times)

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
pod cast/beekeeping
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
go to www.somdbeekeeper.com

take a listen

Don :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: pod cast/beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:22 pm »
Loved it Don...can't wait for part two!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:22:33 pm »
thanks
Don

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Don !!
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
if your interested  part 2== is up and running.

:-D :)

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »
Hi Don,

Listened to part 1 and 2 yesterday.  It is great.  Thanks for talking and sharing so much valuable information.  I will be glad to hear the next part soon.

Tom

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »
Don, this should be at the top of the boards.
It just makes me laugh when people say you got to read a book to learn.  You just covered 5 volumes in a couple of hours.  Thank you very much.

My only concern now is how much different latitude makes in your practices.  You are a great guy Don.  I am sure you hear that often.

BTW excellent job technically on the pod cast who ever is responsible for that.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
thanks ace
 craig owns the pod cast broad casts. if enough people enjoy them and think there worth having them he will do more its up to the people what they like or want to hear. we will be making a full selection of learning videos on beekeeping soon. I sure hope there will be a market for them. I want to teach from the new beekeeper to a commercial class on video. leave a comment on his forum let him know what you want to listen too.
Don

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:41:16 am »
I found parts one and two last week.  I enjoyed them both.  I enjoy your vids on youtube as well Don.  Making a vid from new beek to commercial would be great.  Seems like all thats out there now say the same thing over and over for the person who's never even heard of beekeeping. (This is a package, you dump them in the hive,  you will need a hive tool, this is a smoker, this is how you light it).   
Anyways keep up the great work.
James.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
I will.

What would be nice is to have two or three people from different areas of the country on at the same time.  Now I know that might open a can of worms and curtail some of ones thoughts in fear of stepping on someone else’s toes but no matter what you read, view or listen to there are differences in practices based on regions.

Craig did a superb job.  He ask a few questions and didn’t run his mouth off forever and drown out the guest speaker, you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
Don,

Excellent Podcast, I enjoyed part 2 a lot.  I will be listening to the rest soon.

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »
Part 3 is up now.  Haven't had time to listen but here are Craig's comments on his blog: "Here is the fantastic conclusion of the “Intro” series with Don the FatBeeMan. This is my personal favorite out of the three but you be the judge on which one you like best.

If you enjoyed this series and specifically Don’s teachings then you’ll be happy to know that we have another series under production. The next one is aimed squarely at the beginning beekeeper. That’s not to say that you intermediate and advanced folks won’t pick up a thing or two! They’ll be plenty of stuff for you to UNLEARN, rest assured of that!

Enjoy,
-=Craig"

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »
I listened to all 3 podcast and enjoyed them, but now thanks to Don telling me that there are multiple queens in most swarms eyes is confused  :cindi:

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:38 am »
D Semple wrote:
I listened to all 3 podcast and enjoyed them, but now thanks to Don telling me that there are multiple queens in most swarms eyes is confused

Join the group :shock: one thing I learned early in my beekeeping journey is confusion! 

I remember reading a story in 2003 after Richard Taylor author of "The Joys of Beekeeping" died.  The person who wrote it could tell it much better but you get my version.  Anyway they had approached Taylor to ask questions about why, after reading his book things that were happening in their hives were not as he had written.   Taylor's reply was; "Obviously, the bees have not read my book!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 12:16:36 am »
I don't know if most swarms have multiple queens or not, but they do often enough.  I always wonder if they are from the same hive, or several that ended up together because of the pheromones.  I think there is a lot of confusion when bees are swarming and multiple swarms often merge or get separated.  Where there are multiple swarms, you often see one cluster get larger and the other get smaller as if they are not sure which one is theirs.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »
Where there are multiple swarms, you often see one cluster get larger and the other get smaller as if they are not sure which one is theirs.

To a worker bee does it really matter?  I wonder in a commercial operation where there are multiple hives on a skid do the bees always come back to the same hive?  How would someone prove that?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 10:58:50 pm »
 It depends a great deal on what environmental conditions are-such as a flow and the the wind
and many other things that influence the drift of one bee to anothers hive-and yes it matters to the
workers which queen they serve-but as long as they dont show up empty handed(loaded with pollen or nectar) they are welcome in -during periods of dearth they will be killed--
What they are speaking of with the swarms is related to the type of swarm--prime or cast-it is the cast swarm that is occupied many times with multiple VIRGIN queens-and they wont hold the bees the same as a PRIME swarm that only has one mated laying queen in the cluster-lots of times with multiple cast swarms ensuing -the bees are trying to find a mature and mated queen to follow-many times i have seen this happen as the cluster size actually shrinks in size -with many bees returning back to the hive they swarmed from-only to leave again with the next cast swarm--RDY-B

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 07:50:22 am »
how can i get that on my blackberry?

Offline Honeytree

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:30:02 am »
This is FANTASTIC. Thanks for the links!

Offline themayor

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45:38 pm »
I know these pods casts have been around a while,
but I am just now listening to them and they are great!
Thanks to all involved,
Themayor