Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ant proof hive stand  (Read 10316 times)

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
ant proof hive stand
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:29:24 pm »
Does any one have plans or photos for a ant proof hive stand? 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: ant proof hive stand
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:54:10 pm »
I know a lot of people put the legs( if your stand has them) in cans with used oil in them. Others also sprinkle cinnamon around to deter the ants. I guess it works! :)

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:10:57 pm »
thanks for the tip, I think I'll try the oil
Jim

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:01:26 pm »
With all the talk about pollution I know you don't mean motor oil. It does pollute the ground water you know.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:42 am »
I spray mine with poison, my hives sit on two 4x4's sitting on cinder blocks, I spray the blocks with ant poison I mix in a 2 gallon sprayer, been working for 3 years now......... but that's just me ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:51:39 pm »
what if I used cooking oil? would that attract other critters? or oill on water?  can ants swim? Maybe I can use water in my cans. I would think any kind of can would eventually catch enough rainwater to overflow.  My oil would eventually run out.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:19:09 pm »
In antebellum Natchez, Mississippi where I grew up, they put the legs of the beds in bowls of water to keep the ants from joining the humans in bed!

Linda T

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:33:26 am »
In antebellum Natchez, Mississippi where I grew up, they put the legs of the beds in bowls of water to keep the ants from joining the humans in bed!

Linda T

Would that work at keeping the toddlers out too?  I remember many nights with little heels digging into my ribs when my daughters decided they wanted to come to bed with mom and dad. . .

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:19:49 am »
    Since my hives are all on cinder blocks I use FGMO and my finger to smear it around the inner and outer sides of the 2x4 framed stands.  Works pretty good until I get a moderate to heavy rain, then I have to reapply the outside. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:07 pm »
I wonder if grease would do the same as FGMO.  The rain wouldn't wash it off and contaminate the ground.
Jim

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:07:32 pm »
my husband made a flat wood cut out that fits just right under the bottom board, and attached a 2" bird feeder mount to the bottom. We then drove a 2 inch pipe a couple feet in the ground and put a small oil trough made from a 4 inch pvc pipe (with a hole cut out in the middle) and put a 2 inch pipe nipple inside of the 4 inch PVC...it made it a wheel to fill up with oil. We slipped that on to the base of the pipe, then mounted the wood with mount to the top of the pipe.

oil dried up eventually and weeds grew up under the hive...now discovered Murphys oil soap to spray under the hive and on the sides. I think it destroys the ants chemical trail...then I keep a spray bottle of castile soap handy (its oil soap as well and has pepermint oil in it) I spray the sides and the bottom of the hive as well if ants start to climb in...

then I put ANT stakes all around the place to kill the ant colony once a year...
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline Pi

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:12:33 pm »
Dadant has one.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=846
Of course they don't give them away....but a tolerable price for a hobbyist like me.

anything