Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are Beesource's 10 frame hive plans wrong?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Are Beesource's 10 frame hive plans wrong?
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:50:03 pm »
I have constructed five mediums according to Beesource's plans and when I put the frames in there is extra space.  

The box is 16 1/4" wide as the plans describe.  But, there is just less than an inch of space between the 10th frame and the side wall.  Is this normal?  I could space the frames just enough apart to make them work but I thought 10 frames should fit snugly into the box.

The frames are manufactured ones that I buy from a local supplier (I'm not sure where he buys them from) and they are 1 3/8" wide.
What do you think is wrong, or are they supposed to be this way?
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Are Beesource's 10 frame hive plans wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »
that's fine.  some boxes are bigger...or the frames are smaller.   :)  you'll be glad for the space when it's time to remove stuck together frames.  don't space them.  center them and push them tightly together toward the middle.  leave the little bit extra on the outsides.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:20 pm »
You’re good to go JM.  Just get those swarms caught.

The extra space is so you can scoot your first frame away from the next when you go to do an inspection.  16 ¼” is the 'normal' outer dimension.  That extra space allows you to remove frames without rolling bees.  You need that extra room for maneuvering frames without squishing bees.

BTW, nice box joints.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:24:57 pm »
Whew, ok good.  I was worried when I stuck all the frames in there and saw that gap. 
Thanks Kathy and Bluebee.
BTW, nice box joints.
Thank you.

"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »
When placed in the center tightly, there will be just less than 1/2 inch on each side, not an inch on one side. You need that 3/8 or so on either side.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:06:23 pm »
The box's and Joints are no good Don't use them
 you just wrap them up and have them shipped here.
I'll find something to do with them, even if I have to load them with Fat bees   :-D

Nice Box's

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln