Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: " FOOD GRADE " paint ??  (Read 17146 times)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
" FOOD GRADE " paint ??
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:05:03 am »
" Food grade " paint is often mentioned on the Bee boards.

CamCote for one;
 I understand this is/was made in England and has not been avialable in the U.S. for a number of years.

I have contacted 3 paint manufactures, Dupont, Sherwin Williams, & a local, Gauntlet Paints.

All three said they had paint approved for FOOD Processing plants & equiptment,[ walls, floors, ironwork, etc.]  BUT none approved for actual food contact.

So my question ??
Where are you obtaining " Food Grade " paint ?

Thanks
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: " FOOD GRADE " paint ??
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:17 am »
Thanks for the info..
I'll try them again, several years ago, they said it was listed in their catalog but was unavilable.

Thanks again, funny though that a couple of the major U.S manufactures say they have no paint approved for actual food contact.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:44:30 am »
http://www.betterbee.com

It is on pg 53 of the 2009 Betterbee catalog or look up part number EP2

or
https://products.kelleybees.com

It is on pg. 44 of the Walter T Kelley catalog 2009 part number 353

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:23:28 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:44:42 pm »
"funny though that a couple of the major U.S manufactures say they have no paint approved for actual food contact."

Cost of prodution, Gov. approval, and potetial lawsuits verses profit made on a low volume product.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline handymandave

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:44:50 pm »
I may be mistaken, but adequately cured latex paint, is chemically stable and should add nothing to honey, for example.
From all I have read, in the woodworking literature, most wood finishes are stable enough for contact with food products with no deleterious effects to the finish or the consumer. Once the latex is cured, or the solvent evaporated and the "oil" finish is cured, there is no exchange of material between ordinary food products and the finish.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:26 am »
I dont paint my frames or the inside of my hives. The paint I have on the inside of my house dont kill me. As of yet. Hate to give up my resources but if you go to a restore for humanity you can get acrylic enamel for 3.00 a gallon. You have different colors to choose from. Works for me.

anything