Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 72352 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #660 on: April 13, 2024, 02:39:53 pm »
That sounds like fun. Hope you get them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #661 on: April 13, 2024, 11:45:04 pm »
I went through all of my hives today. Two of them were queen less for some reason, one of them had 3 capped queen cells. I was going to cut one of them out but a large hive next to them had a queen cell and lots of day old eggs so I moved that frame with the QC to the other queen less hive.
I added frames to 3 hives that were swarms and starting to grow. Originally they only had enough drawn frames that they could cover. The rest were empty frames.
I took the swarm trap hive that was in the barn apart. I had put a twenty old black wax frames in it to see how it would work out. They only used the best of the frames and left most of them un touched or only used a part of the frame. They did build new comb under the bottom frames and Judy rubber banded them in empty frames. I replaced most of the frames wit good drawn wax. This should enable them to start growing much faster with all of the brood together instead of spread all over the hive with comb they wouldn?t use between the small bits of brood.
I won?t use more that one old frame in swarm traps any more. If I think a swarm is ready to move in I won?t hesitate to use a box full of good drawn wax.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2024, 07:17:00 am »
If I think a swarm is ready to move in I won?t hesitate to use a box full of good drawn wax.
Jim Altmiller

I am responding with my opinion for the sake of newer beekeepers who wish to try trapping for swarms, of course this is just my opinion and works well for me..

Same here Jim, the more drawn comb in the catch box the better in my opinion during swarming 'season'.. And if not 'all drawn out comb' (which I prefer), at least some drawn out comb with added frames 'with' foundation.
Never wide open spaces such as foundation less frames (just my personal opinion and many may disagree). By using a full box of drawn comb, we will eliminate the chance of cross combing or wonky comb, which can happen when we leave wide open spaces in a catch box with the use of foundation-less frames, as many prefer ..

This older brood comb not only helps in attracting bees to our traps, but also gives us more time to deal with them once they arrive. They come loaded with honey, and the queen will soon begin laying, usually within 3 days when we provide brood comb in our traps. as bees will make short order of setting up housekeeping when they reach their new home and immediately become 'busy as bees'.

Some say that the bees will be less likely to choose a place packed with drawn comb, as they calculate less space 'themselves'. Bees know their business and requirements, and in my experience adding framed comb is beneficial. Some use 5 frame nucs for catch boxes, Personally I prefer a 10 frame box deep for a catch box such as Ed in Louisiana uses, and he is a swarm catching machine   :shocked: :cheesy:lol. A few seconds of this video may be an eyeopener for some..

https://youtu.be/OZUiHstirFs?t=230

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2024, 08:56:54 am »
Thanks for that information. I enjoyed it.

After about three moderately decent days last week, we had relentless winds and heavy rains for three or four days so there has been no activity around my trap. And I was supposed to get my nuc yesterday but that was delayed to today because of the winds. We have a full week of good swarm weather on deck so hopefully, I'll get lucky.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2024, 09:13:04 am »
If I?m setting a swarm trap without swarming going on I will put one old frame on one side and the rest are empty frames with a wood stick in the top slot. I wax the stick with freshly melted wax.
In my experience a good swarm will build nice straight comb in this set up. Most of my drawn foundation less frames are from swarms. If I?m looking for a large swarm, I use at least two medium boxes or more.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #665 on: April 14, 2024, 12:07:14 pm »
If I?m setting a swarm trap without swarming going on I will put one old frame on one side and the rest are empty frames with a wood stick in the top slot. I wax the stick with freshly melted wax.
In my experience a good swarm will build nice straight comb in this set up. Most of my drawn foundation less frames are from swarms. If I?m looking for a large swarm, I use at least two medium boxes or more.
Jim Altmiller

In your case I agree with you Jim especially if the traps are on our own property, with no immediate moving of the trap required, or at least not far, thus no worries of collapsed comb. Your method works just fine when a trap is in our own location.... Plus you have the advantage of new comb in that hive for a new beginning for the bees.. Thought it can and does occasionally happen, most of the time cross comb will not be a problem.

Different circumstances may sometimes require different methods for best results. For example during a hard swarming season some may have catch boxes miles away from their apiary, at locations where  known cutouts have been done in the past, (swarming bees seem to love old cut out locations), in such a case, new white foundationless soft comb, without that provided foundation for support in the frames, may be a problem during transport because of the weight of the fresh nectar the bees might have loaded into this new comb. (and in peak swarm season during a heavy flow, it don't take long for that brand new come to become heavy).

I made this mistake, (once) of transporting a nuc with new foundationless soft white comb from one location to another. When I got home after driving down some rough Mississippi roads, some of the new fresh white comb had collapsed, and what a mess... lol..

Now had that box been on the property that I had intended to be their home, that foundation-less frame set up would have been just fine. I am not trying to change minds and habits, just hopefully showing different circumstances sometimes fare better with different methods... .
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Caashenb

• New Bee
« Reply #666 on: April 14, 2024, 06:51:25 pm »
Took down three swarm traps and moved bees to bee yard, have one more to do in the morning. Put on some supers and checked on others.

Just my thoughts on the previous posts I have started using all frames with foundation in my swarm traps. My first two years I used open frames but with temps in the 90's on these fine Louisiana back roads I had to much of it collapse on me. Since I have started use frames with foundation I have not seen any difference in outcome, using four traps I usually catch 10 to 15 each year.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #667 on: April 14, 2024, 09:22:50 pm »
I picked up my nuc and had them in place and opened up at about 1500. They slowly peeked out then started their orientation flights. Those continued until they called it a day at around 1945. Given how many bees there were vs how many were out getting oriented, I'm guessing that they take turns getting their bearings straight. The queen was in the process of laying eggs when we transferred her over and it seems like she was undeterred by the disturbance. I did not give them any syrup yet, as I wanted them to settle in before I bothered them any more. I got a couple of pollen patties off of the couple that I got the nuc from but I didn't add any of that yet either. So...should I feed them pollen and/or syrup? Should I do so now or wait until they settle in a little more? And I went outside about 2000 and smelt a polecat out there. Is it going to bother my hive?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #668 on: April 14, 2024, 09:39:22 pm »
I have not experienced polecats or skunks because there are no skunks in my area. I have heard different ones here at beemaster say they can cause problems with bees.

Being the flow is ready to start I doubt you will need to feed if there was plenty of stores your nuc.  Also in my area I have to be extra careful with feeding pollen patties because of Small Hive Beetles. In your part of the country they may not be such a problem? Here, back when I use to feed pollen substitute, I open fed.

Congratulations on the bees Terri!

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #669 on: April 14, 2024, 10:28:08 pm »
SHBs are an issue here and a few weeks ago when I was at my mentor's going through the hives, we saw one and he jabbed at it with his hive tool. I don't know if he got it or not and he didn't seem too obsessed about it. What, are their eggs in the pollen and hatch after they warm up? Is there no way to put them out of commission? What I have been told is that the skunks rap on the hive to disturb the bees and they come out and get eaten. Putting the hive up makes the skunk stand up, revealing his hairless belly, which is vulnerable to stings. My hive sits high enough to accomplish that. A couple of months ago, he cropdusted us for a week or more straight. I don't have much against skunks but that one alone is reason enough to move him out of here.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #670 on: April 14, 2024, 10:36:06 pm »
Beetles are generally only an issue if their numbers are large and the hive is a bit weak. Seeing one beetle in a hive would be a great result. Seeing 100 could get you a little concerned. If you have a hive and live in a SHB area, you will have beetles flying into the hive within hours of setting it up.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #671 on: April 14, 2024, 11:45:35 pm »
1. Created two more nucs.
2. Built another 15 frames from scrap lumber.
3. Jammed a pine needle underneath my finger nail while lighting the smoker.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #672 on: April 14, 2024, 11:48:19 pm »
Added some supers and did some box reversal when I found an empty brood box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #673 on: April 15, 2024, 12:36:05 am »
So...should I feed them pollen and/or syrup?
As Phillip said, it depends on your flows.  If you have nectar and pollen coming in right now, then no need to feed. 

And I went outside about 2000 and smelt a polecat out there. Is it going to bother my hive?
What I have been told is that the skunks rap on the hive to disturb the bees and they come out and get eaten. Putting the hive up makes the skunk stand up, revealing his hairless belly, which is vulnerable to stings. My hive sits high enough to accomplish that. A couple of months ago, he cropdusted us for a week or more straight. I don't have much against skunks but that one alone is reason enough to move him out of here.
We have skunks and I've never had trouble with them, but I know people sometimes do.  The height sounds like a good deterrent though.

I inspected several colonies yesterday, including one where I was looking for a new laying queen, who I found, and she is the darkest queen I've ever seen!  She's so pretty and so black that she's barely even striped!  I'll have to get a picture of her.  I named her Tiana after the main character in Princess and the Frog.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #674 on: April 15, 2024, 08:27:20 am »
What I have been told is that the skunks rap on the hive to disturb the bees and they come out and get eaten. Putting the hive up makes the skunk stand up, revealing his hairless belly, which is vulnerable to stings.

Yes, I have heard that too. I?m not so sure about that. lol I have a border collie who is many times larger than a skunk yet black-and-white in color. He never bothers the bees. If he happens to tagalong while I am opening a box, they will get him and he has hair everywhere lol. They don?t seem to be particular about where they sting him. They light and start working their way down to the skin and then zap :-) I would suspect they would do the same to skunk? hair on the belly or not? 🤷🏻‍♂️😊

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #675 on: April 15, 2024, 09:19:07 am »
>What I have been told is that the skunks rap on the hive to disturb the bees and they come out and get eaten. Putting the hive up makes the skunk stand up, revealing his hairless belly, which is vulnerable to stings.

Close.  They scratch on the front of the hive (as evidenced by the scratches), then they catch the guard bee that flies out between their paws, then they roll it in the grass and get it to sting the grass, then they pop it in their mouth and suck the juice out of it and after they have a mouthful, they spit them out.  If the entrance is high enough to expose their throat they won't do this.  If the ground had things that make the rolling part difficult (some staked out chicken wire or paver blocks etc.) it will stop them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #676 on: April 15, 2024, 09:39:19 am »
My nuc has survived its first night in their new home. We got more heavy rain last night so I hope they like it. They were up by 0630, which surprised me, I thought they'd wait until it got lighter or warmer before they got up. How long should I wait before I inspect them in there? And how long will the orientation flights go on? It looks like they're still at it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #677 on: April 15, 2024, 11:06:07 am »
The queen was in the process of laying eggs when we transferred her over and it seems like she was undeterred by the disturbance.

Congratulations Terri on your first hive. I hope it fairs well!! Personally I would wait a week before going back in. Did you transfer them over to your 10 frame set up?

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #678 on: April 15, 2024, 12:35:37 pm »
Congratulations Terri on your first hive. I hope it fairs well!! Personally I would wait a week before going back in. Did you transfer them over to your 10 frame set up?
Thanks. They were in a medium nuc so I took a ten frame medium with me and put them straight into that there. I figured that they'd prefer that over two moves in a short period of time, plus I didn't have to shell out for their nuc box. I had two ratchet straps to keep things battened down and they worked fine, along with my driving skills.

Orientation is over and they are taking care of business bringing in pollen. It looks like a brown to burnt orange and I don't know where they're getting it from. I gave them a little less than a pint of 1:1 syrup and I'll see if they take it. I don't know if it's true but I heard it's helpful when they're building out comb and I have five empty frames for them to work on. If I don't see it going down, I'll pull it out. The seller reported that they were a healthy and productive hive but I don't know them well enough to rely on their word. Indications are good though. These hives have doors on the sides that come off for viewing but all you can see is the end frame on one side. At least I can open the top up and check the syrup without removing their top.

Oh, and my poor neighbor's been getting nothing but bad breaks lately. His last surviving out of seven hives seems to have gone queenless. Just a couple of weeks ago they inspected it and it had everything going for it. Lots of brood, lots of stored honey. He's going to try and get a queen ASAP to try and rescue them. If I had a full and healthy hive, I could cut him some eggs but I don't so I can't.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #679 on: April 16, 2024, 04:07:35 am »
You could possibly cut out a small section of comb with eggs for him, which won't have a major impact on your new hive. I do this quite frequently when requeening and it seems to work well.

anything