Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rescue Operation  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Rescue Operation
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:07 am »
Skeggley, just to be fair, there are others that did urge our brother to split when he first expressed his desire to let the hives swarm, in another topic, I being one. He stressed his romantic desires to let nature take its course, seeking the joy of capturing a swarm in his traps. Though expressing our concerns he was intent on the venture. Therefore looking at things from his romantic point of view I did not try and discourage him any further, seeing his mind was made. I was then hoping he would succeed in his joyous adventure.

Had his swarm plan worked, and the swarm settled in one of his traps, the tide would have been turned and there would be an entirely different ball game and outlook. Happy Bee Times! He had a fair shot at achieving his adventurous goal of capturing a swarm which was his end goal. I was rooting for him when I could clearly see the adventure in his joyful post. He tried. I am confident he will continue to move forward and succeed!  It will all work out.  Hang in there Brother Michale, You will bounce back!

As you know, I lost my daddy last year. It will get better. Cherish the good memories. We shall meet them again when The Lord reunites us!! We as believers have this blessed hope and assurance!!

Blessings!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 03:17:14 pm »
About to start a new adventure.  Ordered the queen from Wildflower Meadows, who claim they have "survivor" stock.

Here is what they say: https://wildflowermeadows.com/why-wildflower-meadows/vsh-survivor-queens/

Hope I have enough bees in there to greet their new queen when she arrives.

Might have to boost again from one of my hives in the country.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:11:33 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »
I think it's perfectly ok to move a frame of capped brood in there so you have fresh emerging bees as your queen is released. You could also move them into a nuc if you think a regular hive body is too big at this time. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 03:43:12 pm »
I think it's perfectly ok to move a frame of capped brood in there so you have fresh emerging bees as your queen is released. You could also move them into a nuc if you think a regular hive body is too big at this time.
I was just about to suggest using Skeggleys advise "Condensing the weak colony back to a nuc box would help the colony move forward.'  I agree with you both Amy about the nuc.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 06:33:09 pm »
Might have to boost against from one of my hives in the country.

If you do pick a frame of brood try and pick one that has emerging brood.  Put the new queen under a push in cage over the emerging brood and it greatly increases your chance for acceptance.  As the bees emerge they accept the queen and the rest of the hive does as well.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
As long as the hive has not went into laying worker mode, the new queen should do fine?

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
Great comments!  Thank you all so much!

Lied awake last night wondering if the bees left were merely robbers.

But observed this morning that they were storing the syrup, guarding the entrance, and foragers were coming and going.

No sign of anything laying -- just a small bunch of bees valiantly hanging on for a miracle.

I've been there before!

Would reduce this hive except it has the slatted rack where most of them are congregated because of the heat.

Yes, a frame of fully capped or emerging brood would really help when the new queen arrives.

It's nice to have healthy hives to draw upon.  Makes me want to expand greatly next spring.

New concept forming in my mind: aggregation -- success of the operation is distributed among and between the individual units of the same.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 09:34:07 pm »
Makes me want to expand greatly next spring.

That is what I said about 6 years ago.  Now around 80 hives later..... :wink:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 10:00:51 pm »
Wow Cao! That is great.. you have really been busy! Maybe busier, or at least as busy as the bees 🐝!
👍🏻  I am impressed, especially since you do not treat for mites.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 09:19:16 pm »
Makes me want to expand greatly next spring.

That is what I said about 6 years ago.  Now around 80 hives later..... :wink:

Awesome!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 10:40:50 pm »
Michael. I know how you feel. I lost my dad in December. At least my bees were low maintenance then.
I also experienced swarming and robbing this spring. They are hard lessons for us new beeks. My problem was just simple ignorance of how to keep a brood nest open during spring build up.
But, hey. That's what new beeks do. Make mistakes.
After all... what would all these old timers in the forum have to do all day, if not to straighten us out? 😉

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 05:26:45 pm »
Inspected the troubled hive to see if enough bees were left to receive the high powered queen arriving tomorrow.  I think they can do it; so, gave them some pollen patty and a gallon of syrup.

Will stop by the other apiary on the way home to pick a couple of combs of capped brood and stores to stick in with her.

Cotton has started to bloom here as well as sunflowers.

This hive may survive!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:04 am »
Wishing you the best. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 04:43:49 pm »
The UPS Customer Center office was closed when I got there so trespassed beyond the "Employees Only" sign to find one guy working a huge facility.  Told him I was expecting a package and, lo, it was on a cart right in front of him!  LOL

Together we verified that the queen and her cohort were alive.

I came home and followed the plan.  She is now in the hive in her cage along with two frames of brood in various stages of development (mostly capped), and some stores.

I'm thinking 48 hours before releasing her, though they have been without a queen for a long time.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 04:54:57 pm »
Can I ask, are you sure there is not laying workers by this time? The reason I am asking, would it be better to make this up as a nuc. Give her time to get settled in and shake the old ones away from their present spot at that time? Taking care of any L/W?  Wouldn?t this give her a better chance in the case the old hive has went rogue? I am walking on thin ice asking this but it would be my concern if it was my situation.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 05:27:55 pm »
Can I ask, are you sure there is not laying workers by this time? The reason I am asking, would it be better to make this up as a nuc. Give her time to get settled in and shake the old ones away from their present spot at that time? Taking care of any L/W?  Wouldn?t this give her a better chance in the case the old hive has went rogue? I am walking on thin ice asking this but it would be my concern if it was my situation.

There is no sign of any laying of anything.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 06:14:42 pm »
Okey-dokey. As far as I know that sounds good! Wishing you the best.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 03:50:16 pm »
Released the new queen.  She looks healthy and happy.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:24 am »
This is tough.  It's like having a kid in the hospital!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:07 pm »
This is tough.  It's like having a kid in the hospital!

Did the bees seem to be acceptable as you picked up the cage to release her? Was they easy to move around with you finger or was they aggressively hanging on the the screen and cage?
You should know something soon. Let us know.