Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Night Geese  (Read 5365 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Night Geese
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:39:33 am »
I heard something strange last night.  It might not be that unusual, but it’s the first time I ever heard it.  I stepped out on the deck about 1am and heard Canadian geese flying overheard....in the dark!  We did have descent moon light, but I didn’t think birds flew at night?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Night Geese
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:51:51 am »
Blue,
That is not uncommon. I have heard them several times at night over the years, more so up north in PA, than down here. I never heard them that late but I am rarely outside at that time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:45:04 am »
Up here in the far North geese heading south often take off and fly south all night covering huge distances when winter puts them on the move.   Sometimes the yammer of snow geese can be heard at different points in the sky all night.  If the weather is cloudy, the geese sometimes seem attracted to city lights and will circle towns. 

Offline OzarksFarmGirl

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 05:14:15 pm »
I heard them flying overhead last month (Sept 11) for the first time this fall. That's a bit earlier than normal, and makes me wonder if we are going to have an early/hard winter.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »
It's rare around here, but not Montgomery. I've heard them at night maybe once or twice in my life. Montgomery is infested with them.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.