Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees absconded or something else?  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Nicholas Watt

• Brood
Bees absconded or something else?
« on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:53 am »
I have just opened one of my beehives to find that there were very few bees inside, like maybe 20-30, I assumed that they had absconded as the hive had fallen over (yet remained in one piece) due to high winds and I just picked it right back up. But as I was looking over the comb, I saw the queen on the one frame, as well as some brood and lots of honey and pollen as well. There were no dead bees at the entrance or on the baseboard. I have no idea where the bees went or why they left the queen. This was a relatively strong hive a couple months ago. Any ideas?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Bees absconded or something else?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:57:55 pm »
I have just opened one of my beehives to find that there were very few bees inside, like maybe 20-30, I assumed that they had absconded as the hive had fallen over (yet remained in one piece) due to high winds and I just picked it right back up. But as I was looking over the comb, I saw the queen on the one frame, as well as some brood and lots of honey and pollen as well. There were no dead bees at the entrance or on the baseboard. I have no idea where the bees went or why they left the queen. This was a relatively strong hive a couple months ago. Any ideas?

Hi Nicholas, With the twist of the hive fallen over, I would not know. Otherwise, I might guess mites. And that would be just a guess. How many hives do you have there? Tell us about Beekeeping in South Africa. Do you have a good steady nectar flow? I am interested in what you might have to tell us.
Thanks,

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything